When a dealer's installer comes to visit the house on Thursday, May 26, I want to know more than I do now about the alternatives for running a gas line from one end of the house to the other. Can it run inside the house between the two floors or through the attic? Must it run around the outside the house?

We are talking about something between 70 and 90 feet. The house is 44 feet long and 26 feet wide. The gas meter is at one front corner, and the fireplace is near the corner diagnolly across on the ground floor. The house is a split foyer, two story, on a slab with no crawl space underneath.

For inside the house, my first choice would be to run the line between the floors. From the utility room at the meter end, there is an area 36 inches wide and 9 inches high that runs 33 feet down the center of the house. This is for the main heating/air conditioning duct, some water lines, and electrical and telephone wires. Visually, there is access, about 8 x 9 inches, along the length for working a line over the joists between the far end of the house and the utility room. The line would have to rest loosly on top of the joists.

One salesman offered to go around the outside of the house. He also suggested going up the meter end of the house to the attic, then to the other end and down to fireplace level. But at the meter end, the second floor has a vaulted ceiling. That makes the first 24 feet of the attic accessible only for viewing and working with a snake wire or bamboo pole. Again, the gas line would have to sit loosly on top of the joists.

If the gas line has to go around the outside of the house, the existing construction enters the picture again. The lower level has a brick facing. The upper level is R-11 plywood panels. Should the gas line run up just under the eves or just below the plywood and be attached to the brick?

The sales lady where I have decided to buy offers no solution until her man makes his survey on Thursday. Smart lady. I thank everyone for your comments.

Al Poulin

gastite or a similar flex line could easily be fished into your joist space. gastite themselves recomend having it fastened with a plastic hook type thing every X feet but it not NEEDED. We have fished lines in above ceilings before and I never heard anything bad come back about it. Just so theres nothing too dangerous in your joist space that sounds like a good way to go with it.

For the outside, it could be fastened to the brick. In some areas you might have to have it X feet off the ground. Also if they run copper tubing DO NOT let it touch any masonary because the grout / mortor will wear a hole in it over time.

Originally posted by jtp10181

For the outside, it could be fastened to the brick. In some areas you might have to have it X feet off the ground. Also if they run copper tubing DO NOT let it touch any masonary because the grout / mortor will wear a hole in it over time.
    Thanks for warning about the copper. I would hope that everyone installing does not forget their training about that.