Tower Water/Winter Ops

Tower Water/Winter Ops

Having troubles holding anywhere near a steady entering tower water temp. and it's driving the connected 19XR chillers crazy. If I'm correct, the root cause at this point in time is a tower fan freq drive that was never set up properly. Looking for real world input as to the tolerable temp range with a 78F setpoint. Chillers run with a min load of about 70% FLA.

How low is temp dropping now? You know XR"s more better than me.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Have different issues with the extremes. In my mind the swing is far too wide. Looking at ems history swings are worst, as Billy Joel might say, IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT! Early this am swing was about 6 degrees in less than 30 minutes.

Are they 19XR's or XRV's? I had a problem with swinging temps on a job with the XRV's. Had customer lower the tower setpoint to 65 degrees. The XRVs are running about 45% motor current.

The problem with the setpoint was controlled by Metasys(or as the local tech calls it Meta-mess). Johnson basically writes a software routine for tower control and downloads it into all there jobs whether it fits or not. The local techs have to tweak it to get it to work on a case by case basis.

Course all this doesn't matter if you have 19 XR's. 65 degrees would probably be too low. Be that as it may, I don't think a 6 degree deviation in 30 minutes is too bad. We were looking at 15 degrees in about 15 minutes.

Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Aha, just so happens this job has JCI controls. Looking at the available history I'm thinking 6 degrees is a best case scenario whenever weather conditions require 1 of the 4 tower fans. Seemed to hold about a 6 fegree swing with the tower fan speed range from zero to about 50% over the course of the day. Fortunately the chillers are XRs and not XRVs. They are however frame 5s with that movable diffuser and this winter all that have run have stored high lift alerts in their alarm histories.

72 is about as low as you can deal with without head pressure control.

that the facility with the chillers on the 2nd floor, over the boilers?
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

Heavymetaldad - You're probably thinking of the irght one, but you've got the equipment layout backwards. Boilers above chillers.