Thread: EAC? UV? Both?

I would like to get some feedback on the best options for clean air in my home. I am pretty sure that I will be installing an EAC for my system, but want to know if I should install a UV light too. My understanding is that the Honeywell EAC uses an ozone generator to clean the air. Is installing a UV with the EAC overkill since it uses the same process(ozone) to kill the bacteria, etc?

Ozone is a pollutant. They are trying to use one pollutant to kill another pollutant. In small quantities like your filter it will not kill mold. It will just be an irritant, specially for someone with allergies, and breathing problems. UV will not clean the air! It will help kill mold on (One Side Of The Coil). Not worth the money! Spend your money on a good filter like a space guard and a preventive maintenance contract.

I just had a Honeywell F85F 2000 cfm commercial EAC installed, I think all EAC's produce some ozone, especially when they are new, I never read anything about having a ozone generator though. The ozone rates that Honeywell quotes in their literature is very low, plus Honeywell EAC's can be set to reduce the level of ozone by 25% if needed. I also installed a Filtrete paper filter after the EAC just to see how much dirt got through the cleaner. After a month the Filtrete filter was only slightly stained, and that was running the fan on continuous for the entire time.
    I also installed the UV100A dual tube Honeywell UVC light in the return duct.
    I think they both made a huge difference in the air quality of the house.

As for cleaning the air the best and most effective air cleaner I have found is the Lifebreath TFP by Nutech. A really good wholehouse filtration system that uses a newly designed pre-filter before a true HEPA. I have installed a few of these units with fantastic results. They are expensive though. While a lot of people on here disagree with me concerning UV lights, there are situations that they can help. Simply installed in a HVAC system, I don't think they do a whole lot. If positioned properly over the coil, they can aid in keeping it clean, but I still say they are not a substitute for a Service Contract.

The Lennox Pure-Air or the Sunpure-SP2000 both utilize UV and photcatylitic (<---Spelling?) oxidation as a means of reducing odors and VOCs. I do think this approach is effective as I have seen it work first hand in a rental home of mine that was left with a horrible cat odor. While Ozone is often used, in doses large enough to overcome odor issues, it is dangerous. Check out http://www.epa.gov and you can find a lot of information about what ozone can do. It is actually more than a respiratory irritant. It actually breaks down the tissue in the lungs. That's enough to keep me from using it for any of my clients.

Parker

why not a pleated filter - they do a lot and are lowest lifetime cost...

EPA is almost as good at predicting the future as the CIA did with the Berlin Wall. American Lung Association as early as 1996 stated that photocatalytic oxidation (PCO) held promise as an emerging technology. Unfortunately they don't update their information as often as they should.

Filters have limitations, but they have their place. Unfortunately they don't kill mold, bacterial, and viral particulates, and have minimal effects on VOCs - and are only as good as their merv rating in collecting what passes through them. The advantages of PCO systems will vary according to their designs. NASA's contractor came out with BioKes. Genesis Air, RGF Environmental, and EcoQuest with new designs that have less than .02 ppm ozone output for their duct installed units. Lennox and Carrier have new units, and SunPure was recognized as an innovative product as part of their ASHRAE exhibition. The design of the units and their particular "secret sauce" catalyst have different results. So far only RGF Environmental has had the track record and news reports showing them selling thousands of units to China (among others.) The limited news stories I've found don't show a large market penetration (yet) by other manufacturers.

Ozone by itself can be bad news! However, EPA Advanced Oxidation Handbook (1998) found that ozone added to an airstream being treated with photocatalytic oxidation increased VOC removal by an order of magnitude (1 million to 1 billion times.) Part of the secret seems to be how well the O3 gets broken down in the catalytic reaction and made available to bond with the VOC molecules.
    Remember, normal outside air ozone levels are considered hazardous when they exceed .07 ppm.