Trane RTWA leaking oil filter canister

I have been contacted by a customer with a Trane RTWA. He asked me for some advice on the oil filter canister. A few weeks after Trane has replaced the filter, the canister starts leaking oil. I suspect the o-ring gasket is the issue but he wants to have a general relacement of the filter system because this happens every year (even when they fix it under warranty). I thought about a compact replacement filter with flare connections (i thought i have seen something on the Carrier chillers). Does anyone know a manufacturer of such a filter?
    "Quality exists, when the price is long forgotten."

Henry Royce

make sure there is no burrs anywhere causing a small pinhole somewhere
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Entropie, I am guessing you are referring to the Epinal manufactured ERTWA100 series with the Intermediate Screw (CHHB) compressor as all US manufactured RTWA used the GP1 (CHHN) compressor with the oil filter integral to the compressor housing assembly.

Just a word of caution if you are thinking of changing out the oil filter assembly, the oil circuit protection is worked on detecting a blockage in the 5 micron oil filter at normal oil system flow rates/refrigerant system delta pressures. If you alter the chracteristics of the oil filter you could possibly compromise the compressor oil protection.

It is not normal for the oil filter o-ring to leak so would recommend the root cause of the problem be corrected - either an issue with the housing or the o-ring.

There was a design change on the oil filter housing and element, if an ELM1042 is ordered it will come with a replacement o-ring but for the ELM016E you need to also order a RNG0201E. You can also order the complete housing if it is an issue.

See attached for reference
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank you Screwit for the information and yes you are right we are talking about an ERTWA from Epinal. My first thought was that there is problem with either the surface / groove or the o-ring (size or material). I will order a new o-ring from Trane to compare it with the installed one(s).
    "Quality exists, when the price is long forgotten."

Henry Royce

Retrofitting chiller parts will also void any remaining warranty. If Trane fixed it under warranty then Trane needs to come back and fix it under warranty again.