Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Exactly. I did put a call in to the contractor and at the same time I used other tools, such as this website and other sites, to learn more before I spoke with them directly. I wanted to be in a position of speaking intelligently on the situation besides just saying, "the sink gurgles". Before being put into a position of believing just what a contractor might say I thought it wise to learn more and seek opinions from others as to what this might be. Doesn't seem odd to me at all to get multiple opinions. Kind of like going to the doctor - before I would let someone operate on me I would get a second or third opinion.

As regards the code issue, I am located in Dallas, Texas so if anyone knows the code rules there please let me know.
    Thanks.

Knocking from the drain pipe usually indicates a trap that doesn't have enough water in it yet, or that part of the drain line is sagging between 2 supports and forming a shallow trap.

Depending on what it turns out to be, it could be that the trap needs to be primed, a trap installed, or the drain lines blocked up so there are no dips between the supports.

The gurgling is from air being sucked from or blown into the sink drain where the AC drain connects between the basin and the sink trap.
    Again, could be that there is no trap, or it could be that the trap isn't primed or properly designed.

Originally posted by bwal2
    The a/c is sucking air from wherever it can get it the easiest.
    Apparently, that place is through the trap under your bathroom sink.

If the sink was vented properly, that place would be through the vent extended through the roof.

My guess is that you have too shallow of a trap on the a/c, and/or improper venting on the sink.
    Around here the AC drain generally terminates above the trap for the bathroom sink. The vent for the sink would have no effect whatsoever since the air is being blown or sucked through the down pipe from the sink basin.

In my area it is illegal to connect any air conditioning condensate drain into the vent for other plumbing fixtures, or into the sewer system directly. The AC drain line always has to terminate before a "wet" trap that will have water in it at all times.
    We had one where the AC drain couldn't be terminated into an already existing "wet" trap, so the plumber on the job piped a small water line over to our trap and installed a device that constantly drips water into the trap so it doesn't dry up over the winter.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

chillbilly: why do you include the verbage from the post which you wish to answer? I get lost before I get to your answer --

Post here's my take

sounds like the condensate line is not trapped, and is piped in to the large vent pipe . i suspect the drain outlet is on the negative side of the air flow. condensate water is not being allowed to exit the unit while it is running, there by making the gurgling noise. the large 2" or 3" vent pipe is acting like a bazooka tube & amplifying the gurgling noise. here in tampa, we are not allowed, by code, to attach out condensate lines to the public sewer system. county sewage department is already over-burdened with just regular sewage. county charges you for the water coming in and for the same amount of water leaving (treatment). their thoughts are, hey we are getting screwed because we are not able to charge you for that extra water going in to the sewer system since it is not metered. that is why people with whole yard watering systems install a second meter just for the irrigation. so they don't get charged for the treatment of that water since it just goes back in to the ground. here, we would have to put that system on a condensate pump & pump it to the outside.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by cem-bsee
    [B]chillbilly: why do you include the verbage from the post which you wish to answer? I get lost before I get to your answer --

Just for those who do not want to trace the post I am responding to.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chillbilly
    Originally posted by cem-bsee
    chillbilly: why do you include the verbage from the post which you wish to answer? I get lost before I get to your answer --

Just for those who do not want to trace the post I am responding to.
    The getting lost part is mostly a readability problem when the entire thing is in bold.

If you will click "quote" then type after the last thing in the field, then your response will be much more legible.

I guess the next question is....

Is the sink trapped properly?

I guess I'll find out tomorrow when the contractor comes out.

to stop the gurgle install a 3 inch "u" trap where the water goes into the sink drain ... then it is isolated ... use pvc 90 s and make your own trap ... you cant buy one ...

Unit has been repaired and there is no more gurgling. Condensation line wasn't at the correct angle and was not draining properly. Line was re-done so that it is drained properly and no more sink gurgle or pipe knocking.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12