Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I recently had a new AC unit installed both downstairs and upstairs when my house was remodeled. I've just turned the AC on upstairs for the first time and when I do there is a slight knocking in the pipes occasionally and a gurgle sound coming from one of the sinks in the master bath. Don't think this should be happening. Can anyone explain why this might be happening?

Make sure a trap was installed in the drain line for the attic air handler. I'm not going to explain because I'm a SOB.

I'll take a wild guess and say the contractor plumbed your air handler drain line into you house system and either didn't install a P trap or didn't prime it. The air handler is blowing cold air into your house drain lines and causing the gurgling sound. Check and see if a trap is installed and if there is fill it with water (prime it) to seal the air leakage.

still should not gurgle unless problem with roof vent

You're an SOB?

How is the roof vent involved with this?

Originally posted by abc1234
    You're an SOB?
    Son of a B.

well at least you are aware of your shortcomings.

Can anyone explain why this would have something to do with the roof vent as mentioned? I would like to understand before I speak with the contractor. Thanks.

The a/c is sucking air from wherever it can get it the easiest.
    Apparently, that place is through the trap under your bathroom sink.

If the sink was vented properly, that place would be through the vent extended through the roof.

My guess is that you have too shallow of a trap on the a/c, and/or improper venting on the sink.

Both should be verified.

It's also possible to aggravate the problem with insufficient return air ductwork/filter grill sizing.
    If the filters are located in the wall, then the pressure around the drainline will be negative pressure.
    If that pressure is excessive, then air could be sucked through the trap on the unit, especially if it is too shallow.
    Dirty air filters exacerbate the problem.

Here's a link for how to vent, one version.
    It won't be exactly like yours, but you will get the idea.
    http://www.trane.com/commercial/issues/iaq/iaq5.asp

BWAL2

Great link

Please don't take this personally. Just an observation. Sounds like my contemporaries have nailed this problem. I am curious as to why, when the problem was discovered, you opted to seek out our input in lieu of contacting the installing contractor. The part "want to understand before I speak to the contractor" I found quite interesting. Was this a licensed, insured contractor? Was a permit obtained? There is a possibility that the drain, if connected to the house plumbing, may have been done in direct violation of code. I know that here in Ky. you are prohibited from making such a connection in some instances. Why wouldn't your very first call be to the guy you paid to perform this work? Ask HIM to diagnose and correct the problem. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I hope you and others viewing this thread can appreciate the fact that you have come to us before even contacting the installing contractor to get their response. Somewhat perplexing.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by John Lloyd
    [B]Please don't take this personally. Just an observation. Sounds like my contemporaries have nailed this problem. I am curious as to why, when the problem was discovered, you opted to seek out our input in lieu of contacting the installing contractor. The part "want to understand before I speak to the contractor" I found quite interesting. Was this a licensed, insured contractor? Was a permit obtained? There is a possibility that the drain, if connected to the house plumbing, may have been done in direct violation of code. I know that here in Ky. you are prohibited from making such a connection in some instances. Why wouldn't your very first call be to the guy you paid to perform this work? Ask HIM to diagnose and correct the problem. Sorry if I sound harsh, but I hope you and others viewing this thread can appreciate the fact that you have come to us before even contacting the installing contractor to get their response. Somewhat perplexing.

I would guess that the info provided from the posters on this site could be used so that the person asking the installation "contractor" could be clearly understood when voicing their questions and concerns.

It could also be used as a way of arming yourself for a debate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast