Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin

I agree with the others that said unions were, at one time, important. I have been part of a teachers union for 13 years. I have been working IN the union for about seven years. I do it to help union members, etc. But I can say that seeing the union from the working side has opened my eyes to the fact that MY union is essentially powerless. I doubt it is any different in other teachers unions as well. The superintendent of my disctrict was the president of his teachers union. There is very little power on the side of the worker. Workers in America are under attack, in my opinion. The science of business has progressed much more rapidly than has any organized labor effort. People get the PhD in HUMAN RESOURCES. This assault has only gotten stronger years have continued. This is my why the gap between the rich and the poor has also continued to increase. The middle class is disappearing. Duh, I guess we all know that.

Charles Bukowski's grave said it best: DON'T TRY.

The unions set the standards for all wage earners. If you take them down or weaken their right to bargain; we all lose. No time and a half for overtime (40hr week). No paid holidays, vacations, subsidized health and retirement. Think about what unions have brought to the average worker.

As a one man shop all I can say is that I take all the risk, and I get all the benefits. No one can tell me "We are on strike today, put down that drill!" and no one can beat me down on wages. To me we live in a free market.

If I happen to be having a good month, and I feel like taking Tuesday off to go fishing, then there is no one to tell me that, "No, you have to go picket with the union otherwise you will be benched!"

If I break my arm, its my problem, no one else. I drive myself to a clinic and get it set, and I pay the bill out of pocket. If I make a bad decision on a job its MY fault and I take responsibility for it.

Why should all the big government contracts go to union contractors? What makes them more qualified to do the job than a non union shop??

You say that unions made us able to take holidays, and to make a living wage? I say that free market and capitalism did that.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

As for all the mess in Madison, it was a PIA to find parking the other day to go pull a permit! If your going to protest, at least stay out of the way of those of us who are TRYING to work for our bread.
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelbaron View Post
    ]
    Why should all the big government contracts go to union contractors? What makes them more qualified to do the job than a non union shop??
    Because we have the manpower, training, and qualifications to get the job done.

Let's say you and your one man operation decide they want to make it big tomorrow so you go out and bid a 20 million dollar hospital mechanical build... You win the bid.

Where are you going to get 90 pipefitters, 45 med gas certified brazers, 25 welders, 10 stainless certified welders, 15 HVAC techs, 20 controls certified guys from?

The project starts in 30 days. How do you expect to get and train these men? Craigslist? local paper classifieds? Monster.com?

I'm union..............wouldn't have done it any other way. But no work, no pay. no paid vacations. No paid holidays. No paid sick days.
    Last edited by heavymetaldad; 02-27-2011 at 08:10 PM.
    \m/
    original member of the racoon brotherhood

unions made this country,don't know about teachers union the private sector is good. I have worked on both sides of the fence and take union way any day of the week. I think they should have let them run their contract out then work out a cheaper contract. I am sure that state been pissing money away for years like all the other states.Got to blame it on some body except themselves.Union busting thats all it amounts to.
    work to live not live to work.

I am a union worker and proud!
    I work an hour and get an hours pay!
    no work no pay!
    no paid holidays no vacation no sick days!

screw up and i am gone
    my boss of a 18 man shop gets over 2000 applicants every year!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess I am the only anti union on here today, so I wont say too much. You guys are gonna help bankrupt your state, then you wont have a pension anymore. All they are trying to do in Wisconsin is get a fair amount paid to healthcare and retirement on a level the private sector is already paying.

Quote Originally Posted by simplyrollin View Post
    You guys are gonna help bankrupt your state, then you wont have a pension anymore.
    No, the rest of us 56 states will bail them out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws
    Last edited by rickboggs; 02-27-2011 at 11:32 PM. Reason: added the video link

it is okay you are anti union!
    we never want to take your first amendment right away from you!!!!!!!!
    Most people on this site are non union and most are union haters!

My paycheck comes from my hard work and knowledge being the product my boss sells to customers like little restaurant owners and small churches and large churches and all sorts of privately owned businesses!

Those customers choose my company to repair their air conditoners and can call any company in town!

Most customers have tried the little non union shops and usually end up back with us!
    My shop is union and charges about $100 an hour a little more
    Trane is non union and charges $169 and they get a lot of the work around here!

Just curious?
    How am I bankrupting my state?

Quote Originally Posted by simplyrollin View Post
    I guess I am the only anti union on here today, so I wont say too much. You guys are gonna help bankrupt your state, then you wont have a pension anymore. All they are trying to do in Wisconsin is get a fair amount paid to healthcare and retirement on a level the private sector is already paying.

there are 57 states?????????????

Man

I got to get out more!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rickboggs View Post
    No, the rest of us 56 states will bail them out
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpGH02DtIws

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    there are 57 states?????????????

Man

I got to get out more!!!!!!
    Watch the link!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678912 ... LastLast