Wisconsin
Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisconsin

Hmm Wisconsin

Wow, just watched the focus group segment on Hannity. QUITE a division of outlooks there. What do you HVAC guys and gals IN WISCONSIN think will be the outcome of this tussle between the state and the unions?
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Not sure what's going to come out of this but on Friday, myself and plenty of people from Local 601 will be going to Madison to back the unions that are down there. I have a feeling Friday and Saturday will be the biggest days down there because I heard all building trades will be there in support. There are people being bussed in from other states for the protest and I also saw on the news that there are protests happening in other states to support what is happening here.

If nothing comes out of it, at least I can say I was at one of, or if not the biggest protest ever held in Wisconsin. Should be a sight to see no matter what happens.
    Steamfitters Local 601

the days of the unions are over, just believe it dogs

I predict this will be moved to ARP.

I also predict Walker will get his way anf break the Union as he should.

My brother is a union member, he finds my opinion disappointing---nay discouraging---to say the least and has since found it behooves his cause to take his petitioning to other, more receptive ears. Nature abhors a vacuum and the intellectual and moral vacuum there is about to close in on itself. You are known by and aligned with the company you keep...whether you agree with their ideology or not.
    (The wise men of modern thought) adore a god made of putty or of wax - plastic, effeminate, molluscous, with no masculine faculty about him, and no quality that entitles him to the respect of just and honest men, for a being who cannot be angry at wrongdoing is destitute of one of the essential virtues, and a moral Ruler who is not angry with the wicked, and who refuses to punish crime, is not divine. ---Spurgeon

Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post
    Not sure what's going to come out of this but on Friday, myself and plenty of people from Local 601 will be going to Madison to back the unions that are down there. I have a feeling Friday and Saturday will be the biggest days down there because I heard all building trades will be there in support. There are people being bussed in from other states for the protest and I also saw on the news that there are protests happening in other states to support what is happening here.

If nothing comes out of it, at least I can say I was at one of, or if not the biggest protest ever held in Wisconsin. Should be a sight to see no matter what happens.
    What is it you are protesting for or against?

Quote Originally Posted by Korndogg View Post

Are you going to have a cold or what type of sickness will you be going with!!
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DesMech View Post
    What is it you are protesting for or against?
    I was going down to support union work because they will be going after us next trying to make us a "right to work" state. But now something came up and I can no longer go.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendo View Post
    Are you going to have a cold or what type of sickness will you be going with!!
    lol no I just got laid off last week after I came back from my vacation in Montana.
    Steamfitters Local 601

Backing Walker

As a 601 Steamfitter I may be betraying the idea of unions. But the state teachers union pays almost nothing for healthcare and retirement. I know what I have to pay and its much more. Its time for the teachers union to come to terms with the losing battle they are fighting. We are spending beyond are means, and we finally have a Governor willing to end it

Quote Originally Posted by shaygetz View Post
    My brother is a union member, he finds my opinion disappointing---nay discouraging---to say the least and has since found it behooves his cause to take his petitioning to other, more receptive ears. Nature abhors a vacuum and the intellectual and moral vacuum there is about to close in on itself. You are known by and aligned with the company you keep...whether you agree with their ideology or not.
    I could be wrong because Im not an intellectual but let me say this. I worked for unions last 30 yrs. Had some good some bad. I do believe there is a place for unions. Seems like nowdays unions have got so big they have lost some focus on what is right and what is stupid. Seems like no matter what the charge a worker has in any field he is right. Back when unions came around they were good, fought for wages when men and women were getting paid crap. Had bettter working conditions when conditions werent fit for a dog. Back then unions were a blessing. I still fell we need unions because you still have those company owners who will take advantage of workers. What gov walker is doing is to bust the unions plain and simply he has stated that in so many words. People that believe he is doing a good thing, next time you have a problem at work and turn to your union stewart and hes not there, well just shut up and do your job, or try to find a company who loves and takes care of its workers like a big family, good luck.
    Companys would love to get America back down to $5.95 an hr. Good idea but they forget cost to live in america is of charts, a gallon of gas will soon be $5.00, milk $ 4.00 on and on. Sorry for the rant gents.
    Victor

This thread is still in General Discussion, but might get moved to ARP?

I have never worked under a union, so I cannot begin to relate to what it is like. I cannot get my arms around the "union dues" and where that money goes.

From what I can gather and grasp, "collective bargaining" for the pubic employees DOES saddle government with an expensive layer of rules and requirements, that, civil service law already addresses.

Over the years, I have heard and read numerous stories of frustrating instances of inefficiencies due to the union work rules. Also, obviously incompetent individuals have been sustained in jobs, where in a "right to work" situation, this would not last.

I have been fired for basically being the wrong guy for the job a few times, and, I tell you, it was tough, but I believe it made me a better person and asset for the next organization I worked for. I wonder if a union would have been better or worse for me in the long run.

I do not have any acquaintances that are working under a "public sector" union and very few that are in unions in private industry.

It REALLY would chafe me to know that, as a taxpaying citizen, a public employee with similar or less qualifications would be guaranteed a job, healthcare and a stack of bennies SUBSTANTIALLY more than mine. It really burns me that "regular" public employees enjoy SO many paid holidays. I am a veteran and have not had a paid Vet's day off since active duty in the Navy! (Nor President's Day, nor MLK Day, nor two weeks of paid leave over the holidays, nor numerous sick days I can "sell" back, etc.)

But, maybe I AM THE STUPID one for not getting a gov. job anyway!?
    G T T

“In the end we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends”

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by gtt View Post
    This thread is still in General Discussion, but might get moved to ARP?

I have never worked under a union, so I cannot begin to relate to what it is like. I cannot get my arms around the "union dues" and where that money goes.

From what I can gather and grasp, "collective bargaining" for the pubic employees DOES saddle government with an expensive layer of rules and requirements, that, civil service law already addresses.

Over the years, I have heard and read numerous stories of frustrating instances of inefficiencies due to the union work rules. Also, obviously incompetent individuals have been sustained in jobs, where in a "right to work" situation, this would not last.

I have been fired for basically being the wrong guy for the job a few times, and, I tell you, it was tough, but I believe it made me a better person and asset for the next organization I worked for. I wonder if a union would have been better or worse for me in the long run.

I do not have any acquaintances that are working under a "public sector" union and very few that are in unions in private industry.

It REALLY would chafe me to know that, as a taxpaying citizen, a public employee with similar or less qualifications would be guaranteed a job, healthcare and a stack of bennies SUBSTANTIALLY more than mine. It really burns me that "regular" public employees enjoy SO many paid holidays. I am a veteran and have not had a paid Vet's day off since active duty in the Navy! (Nor President's Day, nor MLK Day, nor two weeks of paid leave over the holidays, nor numerous sick days I can "sell" back, etc.)

But, maybe I AM THE STUPID one for not getting a gov. job anyway!?
    Hi GTT you actually said it better then me and in less words, thanks. What you stated was the bad part of the unons that I was trying to get across. I suppose I cant have it both ways, union and no union, and dont really know a quick fix. I do know after 22 yrs as a carpenter the union had its place when we were told to shovel off the snow on roofs of three story buildings or work out in the rain with power equipment, didnt get raises or checks on time. Can go on and on but can also list times when they were a pain in the as@#$ and in the way.
    Victor

they came for the Trade Unionists, and I did not speak out --
    Because I was not a Trade Unionist.

Then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out --
    Because I was not a Jew.

Then they came for me -- and there was no one left to speak for me.

When have we seen this before

Page 1 of 16 1234567811 ... LastLast