Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Commercial hot water boiler tank - sediment accumulation

for a 16 section cast iron hot water boiler, is there accumulation of sediment in the boiler tank

should the sediment be removed via blowdown?

ok to leave sediment in tank for several yrs?

Even if the make up water supply to the boiler is softened, solids like silica are not removed in that process. The boiler will require periodic blow-down to remove those solids. If those solids are permitted to remain in the bottom of the tank, the heat transfer efficiency becomes diminished as new solids fall on top of those solids that are already there.

what happens if sediment remains at bottom of boiler?

does it contribute to corrosion of boiler tank and section seals.

no water treatment in the system

Quote Originally Posted by zeppy View Post
    what happens if sediment remains at bottom of boiler?
    Boiler sections could overheat and crack due to the heat from the burners not being able to effectively heat the water from the bottom of the sections to the top (heat rises, you know)
    does it contribute to corrosion of boiler tank and section seals.
    Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by phbsales View Post
    Even if the make up water supply to the boiler is softened, solids like silica are not removed in that process. The boiler will require periodic blow-down to remove those solids. If those solids are permitted to remain in the bottom of the tank, the heat transfer efficiency becomes diminished as new solids fall on top of those solids that are already there.
    So how often is someone to blowdown their hot water boiler?

There should be no makeup water being used....unless there is a leak. I tell my customer to not blown down their hot water boilers. I'll check the water quality and safeties. Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by ascj View Post
    So how often is someone to blowdown their hot water boiler?

There should be no makeup water being used....unless there is a leak. I tell my customer to not blown down their hot water boilers. I'll check the water quality and safeties. Am I wrong?
    Blow down rate is going to depend on water quality. There will still be some make up do to evaporation of the water even there isn't a leak. How smart is your customer? Most of my customers wouldn't think about it, unless its a maintenance man... In which case depending on their knowledge you may not want them touching it either. What you don't want however is a maintenance man/customer thinking they can service the boiler... That is when you start finding pilot valves adjusted, operating and high limit ranges way out of wack, ect, ect....

Quote Originally Posted by 929rc51 View Post
    Blow down rate is going to depend on water quality. There will still be some make up do to evaporation of the water even there isn't a leak. How smart is your customer? Most of my customers wouldn't think about it, unless its a maintenance man... In which case depending on their knowledge you may not want them touching it either. What you don't want however is a maintenance man/customer thinking they can service the boiler... That is when you start finding pilot valves adjusted, operating and high limit ranges way out of wack, ect, ect....
    How does water evaporate in a closed hot water loop?

And the customer's I'm referring to are in house boiler operators.....they also go by custodians.

most places require you to open up water side every two years at most to clean and inspect. if not, too much sediment can cause poor heattransfer from fire to water sides, and over time can cause cracking and leaky boilers.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    most places require you to open up water side every two years at most to clean and inspect. if not, too much sediment can cause poor heattransfer from fire to water sides, and over time can cause cracking and leaky boilers.
    That's not blown down. That's routine boiler boiler inspection, done by your boiler company.

i believe whats being said is that the hot water boiler tank should be blown down very infrequently to purge accumulated sediment on bottom of tank.

if water is not treated there may be more sediment that accumulates

annual inspections done by insurance cos. (h art ford steem boiler co) are worthless as they really dont do much except a very superficial inspection

In general, closed loop systems, if flushed properly, and treated do not require daily or weekly blowdown. they are however required to be opened and cleaned every two years. steam boilers on the other hand are a wholly different animal.

when you say opened and cleaned every 2 yrs, you mean a good waterside cleaning.

the boiler in question is certain sectional boiler that is tough to do a good waterside cleaning due to access limitations (so what do you do?).

i guess a good waterside cleaning includes washing/flushing out the interior of tank and inspecting the internal surfaces for any problems/excessive scaling/corrosion.

annual inspections done by insurance cos. (h art ford steem boiler co) are worthless as they really dont do much except a very superficial inspection
    When I did steam boiler work, the Hartford inspectors would suit up and crawl in the dry and the wet sides and search earnestly for more work for me. And I knew they would prove all safeties, inspect wiring, and scrutinize the water report. That's not what I would call superficial, so your experience is not universal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast