Pilot Light keeps going out

So we are renting this house and the gas fireplace pilot light keeps going out.. Sometimes its on longer then other times so I keep having turn it off then turning the know to pilot while pressing the spark button. Well the last time I did it it was on for about a minute and all of the sudden the flame got huge blew up mad a huge noise then went out. I turned it off and have not touched it since then. It is a hearthstone stowe model i think can someone please help.. oh and I have noticed that right before it goes out the fire gets really blue and wavy..

You have made the right decision by not touching it.

Contact your landlord or a professional to have it properly repaired.

Yes, call your landlord, never mess with gas as a homeowner, as you could blow you, your house, and family up. But it sounds to me like a thermocouple, gas pressure, or clogged pilot issue.

The pilot flame heats the thermocouple which tells the gas valve to keep supplying gas to the pilot. The pilot also heats the thermopile which tells the valve to turn on the main gas. A thermopile works off of electricity while a thermocouple works off a capillary tube which sends pressure back to the gas valve telling it to keep the pilot valve open.
    Last edited by ZeroTolerance; 02-23-2011 at 02:12 AM.

It appears that you may have a venting issue that needs to be addressed by a professional.

Hey ZeroTolerence, not to be harsh, but you may want to brush up on how a thermocouple and thermopile work. You're a little off base with your explaination and I'm sure you wouldn't want to unintentionally misinform anyone.
    Common sense is NOT common !!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    A thermopile works off of electricity while a thermocouple works off a capillary tube which sends pressure back to the gas valve telling it to keep the pilot valve open.
    ??????????????? Interesting description of how a thermocouple works! ???????

LOL, Sorry I don't know what I was thinking was late when posting. Thermocouple measures mV as do thermopiles. Thermopiles consist of thermocouples set up in series or parallel to produce higher mV's. Thermostats, thermopiles, thermocouples, thermometers, thermoelectric, thermisters, thermal element switches AHHHHHH lol

Too many thermo-S

LOL, Sorry I don't know what I was thinking was late when posting. Thermocouple measures mV as do thermopiles. Thermopiles consist of thermocouples set up in series or parallel to produce higher mV's. Thermostats, thermopiles, thermocouples, thermometers, thermoelectric, thermisters, thermal element switches AHHHHHH lol

Too many thermo-S
    Close enough for the open forum.

Ya, they don't need to know technical jargan. :P My bad though

Talking

Too many thermo-S
    I hear ya!