Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    HI-V system are more expensive, and lower SEER. For the higher cost is that there is a low demand on these, and how the system is made.

SInce this is a new house going up, go with a regular A/C system, they are able to have room to work in adding duct work for A/C.

I think I only came across 2 Hi-V system. When I was in the field, we did the regular system.

wyounger- Air to Air heat pump in MN is not worth it, it's too cold in the winter for it. MOstly Nat Gas around here. As long the owner gets the outdoor sensor on the boiler, it will run pretty cheap.

I live in Michigan,climate similar to Minnisota, I have installed clossed loop heat pumps with infloor heat and they work great.A air to air heat pump with with a high seer condensor with gas back up will also work well. Your heat should be your main concearn.Unico and Spacepack are usualy not cost prohibitive in new construction, although I have used them in some situations'even with a hot water coil. A closed loop ground water heat pump with infloor heat and a air handler should be efficient.

Originally posted by mn4az
    For heating during the winter we are considering in floor radiant heat for the whole house, part of the house or just the basement
    I would recommend floor radiant heat for the basement, and the bathrooms. Forced air for the rest of the house, because you will need to humidify the rest of the house in the winter.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Originally posted by mayguy
    For Minnesota, No higher than 14 SEERS, Check with XCel of what rebate they offfer for you on gas and power.
    What he said. Most people here in MN didn't turn their A/C on last year until August. Payback on high SEER just doesn't work in MN. Also, I believe X-Cel or Minnegasco do not give rebates on new installs, only upgrades from existing systems.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Originally posted by markco
    Originally posted by mn4az
    For heating during the winter we are considering in floor radiant heat for the whole house, part of the house or just the basement
    I would recommend floor radiant heat for the basement, and the bathrooms. Forced air for the rest of the house, because you will need to humidify the rest of the house in the winter.
    Thanks for chiming in on this. However, I am a little confused by that last post.

Are you saying that I will need to add humidity to the home during the winter months if I go with only radiant heat?

I thought that if we did radiant and had a "tight" home that the humidity from showers, hot water running, laundry, etc would add enough humidity to the home that I might have lower humidity levels.

If we did decide to do the whole house with infloor radiant and traditional AC is there something out there in which you can utilize to control humidity levels in the house?

TIA for any and all replies....

[Edited by mn4az on 05-18-2005 at 09:05 AM]

Originally posted by markco
    Originally posted by mayguy
    For Minnesota, No higher than 14 SEERS, Check with XCel of what rebate they offfer for you on gas and power.
    What he said. Most people here in MN didn't turn their A/C on last year until August. Payback on high SEER just doesn't work in MN. Also, I believe X-Cel or Minnegasco do not give rebates on new installs, only upgrades from existing systems.
    It appears you are correct

http://mn.centerpointenergy.com/for_...ace_rebate.asp

We'd have Minnegasco and rebates are only for upgrades....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12