Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Frown Ruud heat pump problem - Please help!

Hello, everyone. I am keeping fingers and toes crossed that there is someone here who can help me. This is a long, complicated story. I'll try to make it short.

The tech specs: 16-seer Ruud heat pump, variable speed, electric. Four ton unit, 2,300 +/- sq ft home. Tons of insulation, energy star windows, etc. Thermostat - Honeywell, set on 71 all the time. 15 kw heat strips. Installed new in 2008 (last week of 2007, close enough).

The problem: Unit runs normally for a few days, only kicking high-speed fan on (or second stage? in the cycle) when it is below 23+/- degrees outside. Keeps home comfortable. Then, unit apparently starts defrost cycle but will not go into it. Kicks on cold air to run defrost cycle, heat strips do not kick in to compensate, unit tries to complete defrost cycle but does not. There is no whoosh at the end of the cycle, even after several rounds of this. After a few minutes, and after it has cooled the house from 71 to about 69, heat strips kick in. Brings temp up about 1 degree, then repeats attempt to defrost. Lowers temp in house again, but not as much this time. This cycle just repeats over and over and over again. The only way to get it to stop is for me to turn it off at the thermostat, let it sit for about 20-30 minutes at least, and turn it back on.

Part two of the problem - When it is warmer outside, nearing the 50 degree mark, instead of cooling the house more, it heats the house more. So, I end up going from 71 to 69, but then back to 71 and up to as high as 73.5. (I have two thermometers other than the thermostat).

Part three of the problem - If I do the thermostat reboot, sometimes it doesn't work. In order to get it comfortable in my house, I have to set the thermostat to about 80 degrees, let it hit 74 or so, and then cancel out of that to let it resume normal programming. Sometimes it works, and the unit resumes normal functioning when it kicks back on after the temperature falls. Sometimes it doesn't work, and the unit goes straight back into the cool cycle when the temperature reaches 71 and it comes back on.

This has been going on for about 18 months now. Yes, it gets stuck in cool mode in summer, and it gets colder and colder. It used to happen once or twice a month, now it is at least two or three times a week.

What has been done - Three different HVAC companies, two abandoned by me because of incompetence. One of them was out here probably 6-8 times, the second one told me my 15 kw heat strips were 10 kw. Yeah, that's rocket science, making that mistake.

The latest guy seems to be the best, and he's also getting as frustrated as I am. So, repairs that have been made - thermostat replaced, didn't fix it. New guy discovered that the unit was overcharged, removed excess refrigerant. Also, the sensor bulb that controls how much refrigerant the unit calls for was attached with duct tape, and he fixed that. Lastly, the sensor that sends the indoor unit the signal to kick on the heat strips when it goes into defrost was not hooked up properly. We thought that fixed it but no. After that, he tried replacing the defrost board. It worked beautifully for about four days, and then today, after the outdoor temperature changed drastically - about 30 degrees colder - it is doing it again.

I had left this morning to do some errands, and when I came back, it was 68, set on 71, in the house. I called the new guy who wanted me to run outside and take the cover off the unit, see what the code was, since the outdoor unit was not running. By the time I got out there, it was running. I ended up turning the unit off, since I'm supposed to be working right now and don't have time to mess with it, etc., but instead I'm searching the internet for possible solutions.

I'm ready to have a heat pump shooting party here. I've been sick, my husband has been sick. We are either freezing or burning up. We have an oil-filled space heater we use to stay warm in our bedroom at night. My electric bill is through the roof. I am literally at the end of my rope with this thing. If we can't figure it out soon, I'm going to ask the manufacturer to replace it.

Does someone, anyone, have a possible answer?????? Please!

First, we need a couple bits of information:

Where do you live (city/state is fine; weather conditions do matter).

Can you get the model numbers and serial numbers off both the inside and outside units? THX

One more thing: Does this install use a CO thermostat, or an aftermarket thermostat... probably best to get the make/model of the thermostat also.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    First, we need a couple of bits of information:

Where do you live (city/state is fine; weather conditions do matter).

Can you get the model numbers and serial numbers off both the inside and outside units? THX

Yep sounds like an HVAC-Talk brethren will have to be recruited to fix this.

The other information needed is the model of your thermostat.

Quote Originally Posted by seatonheating View Post
    Yep sounds like an HVAC-Talk brethren will have to be recruited to fix this.
    Agree, My mind was headed towards a defrost board until that was noted...

At this point it sounds like a communicating system that is not talking (must have not gotten a valentine... )
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by acwizard View Post
    The other information needed is the model of your thermostat.
    Agree, Edited into the post.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I'm going to go out on a limb here and sugest that part of the problem is due to the poor quality of the instal.....just saying....duct tape on the TX bulb.

Dont blame the equipment just yet........
    *Proud Member of UA LOCAL 516*

This has been going on for about 18 months now. Yes, it gets stuck in cool mode in summer, and it gets colder and colder. It used to happen once or twice a month, now it is at least two or three times a week.<<<<op also says

Are you saying that in the summer cooling mode the system also continues to cool past the setpoint?

I agree with the above....more than likely it was improper installation by the original installer. Rhhem/Ruud is not gong to take the equipment back. You can call the factory customer service and request a meeting with the area factory rep and the installer. The rep will then go over the installation and make recommendations.

Other stuff

I am in Southern Indiana, just across the Ohio River from Kentucky.

Yes, it cools past the set point.

Yes, we had a boat load of install issues. Took a little while to get them straightened out, but then the unit actually worked well for about a year before starting this last thing about 18 months ago. Until the past three months, I'd say, it worked pretty well aside from the occasional reset.

ETA: Oh, it also checks out perfectly normal when the techs come out and put it through its paces. All the levels are fine.

I'll get the model number on the unit and thermostat ASAP and post. Thanks!
    Last edited by TLHaddix; 02-22-2011 at 07:00 PM. Reason: added information

Puzzled

This is one that keeps you up at night. May be several different problems. For what it is worth, I saw several of that brand from '06 to '08 with bad TXV's from the factory.

I'll be anxious to hear how it works out. Best of luck.

The latest

Here is the model number and serial from the outdoor unit. M: uprl-048jez
    S: 7222 m5106 11516

I don't have the indoor unit numbers, as it is in the attic and takes long legs and strong arms to get to. Okay, it isn't that hard, but it is still more than I can do right now.

The thermostat is model # th8320u1008, and when I woke up this a.m. and the unit was doing its bad thing, I went outside and took the cover off as per instructions from the latest tech. He said the only way to figure this out would be to get the error code off the unit while it is doing it. So, the error code is 5, or 'compressor cannot/will not start'.

Does that help? Send up any red flags?

Quote Originally Posted by TLHaddix View Post
    Here is the model number and serial from the outdoor unit. M: uprl-048jez
    S: 7222 m5106 11516

I don't have the indoor unit numbers, as it is in the attic and takes long legs and strong arms to get to. Okay, it isn't that hard, but it is still more than I can do right now.

The thermostat is model # th8320u1008, and when I woke up this a.m. and the unit was doing its bad thing, I went outside and took the cover off as per instructions from the latest tech. He said the only way to figure this out would be to get the error code off the unit while it is doing it. So, the error code is 5, or 'compressor cannot/will not start'.

Does that help? Send up any red flags?
    Yes, it does... You have a 'communicating' unit outside... I realize it is a hassle, but when you (or your husband) has time, the model/serial of the attic unit would be immense help. THX!
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast