Heat Pump Buzzing

Today, our heat pump outside started buzzing and the air coming out of the vents seems to be cold. The fan isn't spinning and the buzzing seems as if it's coming from the compressor area. I had the unit apart and the components look pretty new (no dibris around or on them, no rust). There is a heat unit beneath the compressor, but I'm not sure if that's working or not. We experienced a nasty ice storm last evening which dropped the temperatures outside below freezing (which I'm not sure has anything to do with the issue). Please advise.

Quote Originally Posted by pariscorp View Post
    Today, our heat pump outside started buzzing and the air coming out of the vents seems to be cold. The fan isn't spinning and the buzzing seems as if it's coming from the compressor area. I had the unit apart and the components look pretty new (no dibris around or on them, no rust). There is a heat unit beneath the compressor, but I'm not sure if that's working or not. We experienced a nasty ice storm last evening which dropped the temperatures outside below freezing (which I'm not sure has anything to do with the issue). Please advise.

Call a technician in your area to address, hard to fix from here. While he is out he can do a maintenance on the unit (if you haven't had it done within the last 2 years).

lets see if you can send me the unit we will try to fix it and send it back.

Turn it off, if you know where the circuit breaker or the outdoor disconnect is. You are going to need on site help. Call a Pro. It's cheaper in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund Forsthe View Post
    lets see if you can send me the unit we will try to fix it and send it back.
    now there's an idea!
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Unit could be stuck in defrost.

*A shot in the dark.
    General public's attitude towards our energy predicament: "I reject the reality of finite resource depletion and substitute it with my own; energy is infinite, we just need an alternative storage medium to run the cars on. The economy can grow indefinitely - we just need to "green" everything! Technology is energy! Peak what?"

Quote Originally Posted by pariscorp View Post
    Probably a perfectly normal defrost cycle, did it do it for more than 12 minutes?

Switch your thermostat over to emergency heat and pull the disconnect to your outdoor unit. That will get you by untill someone can make it out to look at your euipment. It could be one of a number of things and we would need to be right there with a meter and guage set to diagnose the problem.