Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    I have been using the search and just havn't found what I'm
    looking for yet, running out of time, so I am humbly asking for guidance. What I am really looking for is a good procedure for selecting and replacing an evap. coil.
    The replacement is due to leaking pan. Based of the INFO you helped me with on a previous post...it is a 3 ton coil.

This is an older unit...Trane outside...Bryant inside. The
    Home owner plans to replace the outside unit within next year or two he says. He just wants to have the inside coil
    replaced now since the a coil pan is leaking.

He is a guy I work with at a non HVAC job. I have been honest with him about my skill level and experience and he is willing to let me do the job for the experience and pay of course. He knows I am trying to get my A/C repair business started etc..

If you don't have time to post what you would do from start
    to finish at least give me the info I need to help him out
    and learn to do it right. Like brazing the line set to the
    new coil is a big concern of mine. Is 5% silfoss ok for brazing the coil to line set? will the new coil have the metering device already installed? I am going to tackle this job and do it the best I can. Any input will be appreciated. I will show up at his
    house tomorrow at noon. I will post how it went. Thanks.

[Edited by Regulator on 05-16-2005 at 06:59 PM]
    AS LONG AS MY PEOPLE ARE EATING GOOD, I DON'T CARE ABOUT NOTHING ELSE.

Get some copper.

Practice brazing away from his house, with nobody watching.

Don't show up expecting to learn it as you go.

Some things work that way.

This is not one of those things.

You really need some formal training, if you are serious.

I have istalled several condensor units and I am not new to refrigeration completely, but yes Brazing is not my best skill.

ok...I need to keep this post alive. I have been reading this site for some time now, I think I can go an do it pretty well...I'm just looking for something that maybe I haven't thought about. Just a general run down of things to do. Should I go there and tear into the plenum..measure the
    coil and go get one...or should I pump down, recover, cut out and take the coil with me to get a new one. etc.. would you get a new liquid line drier and install it at the evap and get rid of the liq and suct line drier that he has outside. Or since he plans to replace unit soon..just worry about all that then?

anybody.....

ok i will bite
    get a trane coil rated for thee ton
    give them the model number of the condensor and they should be able to give you the correct orfice
    do not recomend a txv on an old unit might cause more problems. you will more then likely find with a new coil the pleun will need some modifacations or replacing
    since you are not up on your brazing skills i would recomend sta-brite solder and stay clean flux
    #3 plumbers tip and just enough heat for it to flo
    if you are lucky you will get a coil that fits
    braze or solder pratice on your own at home till you get it right

One thing to keep in mind, in Jan. 2006 min. seer to be manufactured is 13 seer. You may have a real problem trying to match an r-22 coil installed now, with what is available in r-22, two or three years from now. Good luck.

Smile

Being there is a trane outside, that has probably been replaced already. You should probably get a Trane coil matched to the condensing unit. After that, you have to look at what you have; if the coil has its own bow, it is easier. If not, yes you have to "tear into the plenum" etc. The pan should already be pitched to drain properly, but you may have to play with it a little. Good Luck, you should be fine. Oh, almost forgot, the new coil should have a exp. valve or a piston.

Originally posted by jaypslugger
    Being there is a trane outside, that has probably been replaced already. You should probably get a Trane coil matched to the condensing unit. After that, you have to look at what you have; if the coil has its own bow, it is easier. If not, yes you have to "tear into the plenum" etc. The pan should already be pitched to drain properly, but you may have to play with it a little. Good Luck, you should be fine. Oh, almost forgot, the new coil should have a exp. valve or a piston.
    Bow= Box

thanks...thats what I was looking for. Is it really important to get a Trane coil or one with the same demensions and tonnage be OK? any other suggestions anybody?

ok...one more question. What about trying to repair his pan?
    Let him get his system replaced with a more effecient one next year by someone with more experience than me. What method might I use to seal his current pan to last him a year or so more? or would this be a waste of time?

clean the pan as best as you can, rough it up a little bit with sandpaper, and patch it with a two part epoxy like j. b. weld. or bondo.

I think I will recommend we try that...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast