Question

Hello,

I am building a new home (Minneapolis, Minnesota) and I am interested in knowing the cost savings of the options provided by my builder.

The basement is unfinished and about 1750 sq feet
    The main floor is 1750 sq feet
    The first floor is 1550 sq feet.
    The house will be a walkout and will have South exposure and there are quite a few windows on the main floor.
    We will have the house divided on 2 zones with an automatic control (thermostats). One zone is the basement and main floor and the other zone the first floor.

The Std. forced air furnace is 90%. (York Affinity Series 9.1)
    A 2-stage variable speed furnace with an AFUE of 94% is an additional $2,200.00

The std. A/C is 10 SEER (not sure what brand)
    A 13 SEER A/C is offered for an additional $2,200.00

Could you tell me if it would be worth it to spend the extra money? Would you recommend only the furnace and not the A/C or vice versa?
    Any help you can provide will be great.

We plan in staying on this house for the next 20 years.

Looking forward to your response,
    Regards,

DG

It all depends on your local energy costs. It also depends on how long each season is. For example, I live in Maine, our longest season is winter. We only have 2-3 months of summer where cooling would be needed. So in my area I would go with the 10seer A/C and the 94% furnace. A/C would not be used enough here to get a payback out of it. But the furnace would be used 9 months out of the year, thus I could justify the added expense to go to 94%. It's really a regional thing. Hope this helps.

Absolutely not on the A/C. You could save less than $50 a summer on the A/C which would make a 44 year payback. I'll take the $2200 and pay you $50 a year til you move or die

There would be no gas savings with the upgraded furnace, some electric savings of the variable speed furnace plus the comfort benefits. That is an extremely steep premium over a regular 90. If he won't come down, I'd have a hard time justifying it unless money isn't a real big issue.

What do you guys mean by "comfort benefits"? I am not understanding how one furnace would be more comfortable than another.

Here in Minneapolis we have about 4-5 months of A/C use and 6-7 months of Furnace use.

Thanks again,

The 2 stage furnace will run on first stge for extended periods, giving you a more even temp, compared to the single stage unit.

Also, check with your contractor about the 1500 dollar rebate York has. It might justify the upgrade.

I didn't look in the book, whats your summers like, I didn't think you had real high temps, so I'd have to agree with baldie, you won't see a pay back on the A/C upgrade.

But, it would allow you to control the humidity better, and maybe set the stat a degree or 2 higher.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Our temps average for the last 30 years are (Month letter in front):
    J20.7, F26.6, M39.2, A56.5, M69.4, J78.8, J84.0, A80.7, S70.7, O58.8, N41.0, D25.5

June through September are the A/C months, then we turn the furnace somewhere in October through somewhere in April-May.

I will have to check on that rebate from York (is there a website?), but I am not sure I can justify the extra $2,200.00 for the 2 stage VS.

Any more thoughts?

Thanks,

SYSTEM INFORMATION

Got more info regarding the system the builder puts in.

Furnace:
    YORK Affinity Series PS9 (std.)
    YORK Affinity Series PV9 ($2,200.00 upgrade)

A/C
    YORK Stellar 2000 HDB 10 SEER (std.)
    YORK Affinity CZB 13 SEER ($2,200.00 upgrade)

The house will have a 2 Zone auto system (Z1=basement/first floor, Z2=upstairs floor)

Building a tract house, I really don't have a say, those are the only choices I get . . . Can I sleep at night? Are these good systems even if I go with the std.?
    The outfit doing the install has been around for loooong time, whatever that means.

I really don't think I can justify the 13 SEER cost with our weather, but really wondering about the PV9 (2 stage VS) furnace upgrade.

Hopefully this additional info helps.
    Thanks.

13 seer would be a waste of your money.

You'd like the pv9, but the upgrade cost seems too salty.

The rebate is on the Affinity line only, so the Stellar wouldn't qualify.

Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Take the standard package and put the $4400 into something that will make the wife happy. Or better yet, a bigger garage. It'll take quite a while to make up the 4% on the furnace and even longer to make up the difference on the A/C. If you want to check out a web site that will put it in understandable terms try the Department of energy web site - http://www.eere.energy.gov/femp/pdfs/cac.pdf