Ive been visiting and reading this forum for a few months in order to become a fairly informed consumer. I finally jumped in the slow season to have my furnace ,air conditioner and ductwork totally renovated. The installer with his helper seemed to be very efficient. They put in an American Standard 16seer dual stage compressor{r410}2ton, AS Freedom 90 Comfort R furnace{ 2stage VS},appropriate coil,and a vision pro8000thermostat.......I agree this may be strange but as i watched some of the install hey seemed unsureabout the thermostat wiring and constantly kept referring to the installers guide....The furnace works and the ac works but I see no way of knowing if and what features are working i/e staging etc...I see no mention of any staging on my users guide on the thermostat...I called the installer and he says this the best thermostat out there and I,ll just have to play with it to learn all the features....OK....i contact honeywell and after weeks of follow they send me yesterday a email saying mine is a single stage thermostat and a multistage thermostat is needed...contact your installer for your remedy...That is exactly what I,m gonna do...But..I feel with installing this type of system they should have known what type of thermostat goes with it...someone please advise me on compatible thermostat i will tell him he neds to bring along.???..I contacted american standard via their web site and havent gotten any help in two weeks now..Im sure the company wiil make good but my confidence in them is/has faded..Ishouldnt be telling them what needs to be done. Im thinking the installer dumped an extra thermostat on me instead of getting one with the set...I appreciate any comments???

Yeah your neighbor down the street just called the installer, they also told him the exact same thing that you were told, since it is being read from the top of his sheet that is marked "How to brush off customers since we have already cashed the check" You obviously have a legit complaint but unfortunatley it is up to you to prove out the problem. I would suggest a certified letter stating all the facts of the matter including the recommended thermostat and the solution that you wish to have done to remedy the problem. If you have all your facts straight they will send a competent tech out to change out your t stat for the proper one. You have to be bit forceful sometimes as you are dealing with a company that is constantly being bombarded with dealing with the general public, and they get a lot of real silly stuff thrown their way. It is hard to decipher sometimes which one is legit! Be polite but forceful and you will get the service you need, mistakes do happen and with technology flying forward at a pace noone can keep pace with, some things like thermostats with the computing power of the first manned mission spacecraft to the moon, will get messed up.
    When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.

There are both single stage and multi-stage VisionPro 8000 thermostats and there are multiple reasons why they may have only installed a single stage thermostat. Usuallly it's because it's cheaper. OR, if pulling a new thermostat wire looks like it's going to be a pain, they'll just slap the single stage stat on and tell the furnace to engage the second stage based on time rather than demand.

Call up your installer and tell them that you want the multi-stage version of the stat. If it's a reputable company, they'll eventually give in and do it.

Do you know the full model # of the t-stat? There are 3 model of the Pro. Single stage, multi stage, and multi stage heat w/ dehumid.

mayguy and everyone...

Honeywell VisionPRO 8000 stat numbers:

TH8110U-1003...1H-1C
    TH8320U-1008...3H-2C
    TH8321U-1006...3H-2C W/dehumidifaction control

Hmm cut them a break!

I APOLOGIZE UP FRONT, BUT I WANT TO VENT A LITTLE!you have a ligitimate gripe, by all means, but don't be so harsh. you ever make a mistake at your place of employment simply because you were not informed, sure you have! give them credit for at least consulting the installation guide and trying to honestly do what they thought was the correct thing! most likely, un-like YOU, they are being pushed from one job to another by their boss, so they haven't had a chance to do "research". 16 seer systems are fairly new to the trade, at least to most installers. they should have done the install work, then have their service tech come and wire all the low voltage wiring & controls. i am positive they will learn from this experience and try to do it correctly next time. i just PISSES ME OFF to hear somebody say, " i shouldn't have to do their job for them." let's get something straight here, if you could do their job, why didn't you? 2nd, you think they "dumped" a t-stat off on you. the way i see it is they installed one they thought was the correct one. they didn't leave you with a malfuctioning system did they? be persistant about getting it changed to the correct model, but for everyones' sake, STOP POOR MOUTHING HARD ASS WORKING FOLK! installation is the hardest part of hvac. maybe that is why it can be very hard to find good help! simple mistake that has a simple solution. by the way, when we pick up this equipment from our wholesaler, it comes in pieces not a set. you make it sound like they took your t-stat out of a kit and kept it for themselves. met your kind before, damn good thing I DO KNOW what goes with what, but i still read the installation guide to make sure i don't forget something!does that make me incompetent because i also looked at the installation guide. so you have a computer, well so do i. want something done, make a phone call, stop writing useless e-mails!

Thanks for venting Bill..This isnt an industry knock, and if taken so then I, APOLOGIZE UP FRONT TOO. I am seeking knowledge to understand and get my situation corrected. I appreciate those who reply even if your script is a bit emotional. The stat is a VISION PRO TH8110U1003; What would you recommend for my system above????

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL

Re: mayguy and everyone...

Originally posted by jultzya
    Honeywell VisionPRO 8000 stat numbers:

TH8110U-1003...1H-1C
    TH8320U-1008...3H-2C
    TH8321U-1006...3H-2C W/dehumidifaction control
    For your system ,you are entilted to the -1008 above as a minimum,if your in a humid climate ,I'd pay extra for the one with dehumidification control.