Honeywell Thermostat - Excessive AUX Heat

I live in a house that is less than 1 year old. We have a Ruud heat pump. I changed the thermostat to a Honeywell RTH6350 in hopes of saving some money by having program options. About a month ago our heat went out and the contractor came to repair it. He had to replace a circuit board in the outside unit. Ever since that time, the AUX heat will come on whenever the heat comes on. Today is was in the 60's outside and I bumped the thermostat from 70 to 71. AUX came on about a minute after the heat did. The contractor did check the gas levels and said they were good. I have called him about this AUX issue and he says that it's in the thermostat. Of course since it's not the thermostat that he installed he's offering no help.

I do have to options in the settings that I wonder if will help.

Function 6: Stage 2 Heat Cycle Rate: I have 9)Electric Furnace chosen. My other options are gas/oil, hot water or HE, and Gas/oil steam/gravity.

Function 8: Emergency Heat Cycle Rate: I have 9)Electric Furnace chosen again. I have the same other options.

Thanks in advance for helping!
    Robert

Robert;

You definitely should not have aux. heat coming on by bumping up temp setting 1 degree on any kind of heatpump. The settings you chose are correct for the backup / aux. heat. Does your outdoor unit have a outdoor stat that keeps aux. heat off until your areas balance point temp. is reached. This is usually around 30-32 degrees. The clue here is AFTER a board was replaced in outdoor unit. Was it a defrost control board ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Chew View Post
    Robert;

You definitely should not have aux. heat coming on by bumping up temp setting 1 degree on any kind of heatpump. The settings you chose are correct for the backup / aux. heat. Does your outdoor unit have a outdoor stat that keeps aux. heat off until your areas balance point temp. is reached. This is usually around 30-32 degrees. The clue here is AFTER a board was replaced in outdoor unit. Was it a defrost control board ?
    Not sure what you call the board - I think it was a main board. It has a light on it that blinks different codes to help diagnose problems. I don't know enough about the outside unit to say whether or not it has a thermostat on it or not. I wonder if I should pay for a second contractor's opinion?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by SC74 View Post
    Not sure what you call the board - I think it was a main board. It has a light on it that blinks different codes to help diagnose problems. I don't know enough about the outside unit to say whether or not it has a thermostat on it or not. I wonder if I should pay for a second contractor's opinion?
    It does sound like he replaced defrost board. Definitely get another contractor out there. I am a contractor here in New Jersey (35 years) You are a little to far for me !!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Chew View Post
    It does sound like he replaced defrost board. Definitely get another contractor out there. I am a contractor here in New Jersey (35 years) You are a little to far for me !!
    Is there an adjustment on that type of board to set the aux heat kick-in temp?

The heatpump normally only activates the auxiliary heat during defrost cycles and is not reflected on the thermostat. The thermostat however will show the Aux heat indication when it has activated the auxiliary heat. The new digital thermostats normally wait untill the interior temperature fails to rise significantly in an alotted amount of time before call for back-up heat. A sudden temperature adjustment will make the thermostat turn on the auxiliary unless you have the thermostat set to economy mode (if it is available on your model).
    Every problem gives us the opportunity to choose from several solutions: stupidity, ignorance, indifference, or brilliance. Which one will you choose?

From what I gather you have an electric furnace correct? Does the aux come on every time there is a call for heat or only when you bump it up? Usually aux will come on in a heat call (correct me if I'm wrong) any time the temp call is more than 1.5 degrees, not just in defrost (and yes the t-stat controls this function). I'm not saying you don't have a problem, but this never happened before you had the board changed? Have the temps been the same as before the board was changed? Its normal for aux heat to come on in a heat cycle but how often really depends on your region and current weather conditions. For your peace of mind you can have another company come out but it doesn't sound like you have a real issue. JMO

May be miswired.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?