Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Ok, I missed that...

How do you out of 20 an hour pay your tech who ought to be making that much himself, pay all his pay and payroll taxes, pay all his benifits and the salaries, taxes and benefits of the office staff, put a truck full of parts on the road, gas it up, insure it, insure him, insure yourself, advertise, pay the light bill, the gas bill, the warehouse space, the workers comp, the mortgage on your building, taxes on inventory, interest on money owed because of billing, Pay yourself, cover postal expesnes, printing, office computers, chairs, tables, shelves, paper, pens, pencils, lets slip alittle profit in there. Then ask yourself how much sheetmetal tools cost, the cost of returning used refrigerant, plasma cutters, refilling torches, silver solder by the pound, screws, fittings, training, warranty bucket...Im sure others will finish the list.

1. I think you missed the first part or maybe I was not clear the $20.00/hr is after the initial hour in which the customer pays a flat rate for whatever service they have requested.

2. I do not pay for benefits, if employees want benefits, they can purchase them. I have always had to pay my own benefits and I do not see why that should change for my employees. That is yet another reason American works are being replaced by outsourcing, because they want, want, want. I provide and job for individuals so they can put food on the table and cloths on their backs, it is not my responsibility to take care of all of their needs and no one has ever complained. Unions in my own opinion will be the downfall of the American worker.

3. I am managing fine with what I do, maybe you should ask yourself if you are overpaying you employee. I often take home less money than any other individual in my business, because I feel when cut backs need to be made, they should start at the top with the person making the most money. I take care of my guys/girl, I take money out of my pocket to have bbq and get-togethers so they know I appreciate them. Fortunately, my wife makes decent money where she works and I only have to pay for work she does in my business in the form of dinner.

4. So far as supplies go, I have but one thing to say, "waste not, want not."

5. Is there a reason that you continue to attack me or can you just be an adult and stop trying to hi-jack this thread?

[beenthere]
    So you pay your tech 7 bucks an hour.
    $12.00 - $15.00, D.O.E. Standard pay for this line of work.

Does he get to drive your company truck to and from work.
    Yes, 2002 Nissan Frontier V6 getting 14 mpg

Do you pay for him to go to seminars, and classes to stay current.
    We do not have classes or seminars, we have certifications and yes we pay for certs pertaining to their work.

How many weeks paid vacation does he get.
    Week after 1st year two days every year after.

And yes, I get paid more then you charge an hour.
    Nice to know.

To twilli3967,

Again thank you for your valued input, although he is too old to start learning medicine lol.

So what is your initial service charge.

75, 100, 150?
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Depends on what needs to be done, ranges from $20.00 - $100.00

"Modern Refrigeration And Air Conditioning" is only recommended by people because it is often the only book they are aware of not because it is the best.

First copyrighted in 1968 under that title it just happens to be one of the very first HVAC books with such vast coverage of the subject. It is only popular in tech school programs because the instructors all learned (including me) from it when they were in school. Most people stay with what is familiar rather than do any research for something better.

The book has gone through a number of revisions (I have every edition)but remains pretty much the same in the way it presents the material.

In my opinion, it is a very poor textbook and is more like an encyclopedia of HVAC. I have used it as a textbook and in classes and in frustration switched to alternatives.

I get frustrated with people here who simply recommend a book because it is the only one they are aware of or because it was used in their classroom studies. There are better books.

Actually, I find that there is no single book on HVAC that provides you with what you want or need to know. That is why I have a collection of several hundred HVAC books in my personal technical library. Yes, there are that many!

That being said, it is essential to attend HVAC classes conducted by a quality instructor in a program with a lab! Nobody is going to learn this trade just by reading a book!

Troll.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Thank you NormChris, I appreciate your input.

As I said he just wants to be able to maintain more than just filters. We understand that all the requirements to be a full-blown tech are not economical. He would pay a local company to correct any advanced issues.

wow guys you make me feel guilty for working for a living
    how is it possible to charge 20 an hour and have a tach go to fix something. as a matter of even if it is brought to the shop. there is no way this can be true. for any bussiness to operate and pay all the expenses involved it will charge between 60 and 100 per hour. taking into acount average cost this leaves 2 dollars per hour for your help. no not buying this at all

When I was a service contractor I was always willing to teach my customers anything they wanted to know to maintain and service their own equipment. Some took me up on the offer.

Nearly all of them ended up having me provide all their maint and service anyway after they learned what was involved. It all worked out quite well because after that they had a better idea of what they were paying for and were more appreciative of the service they received. In fact, my best referrals were from those customers.

These were all commercial customers.

Originally posted by tinknocker service tech
    wow guys you make me feel guilty for working for a living
    how is it possible to charge 20 an hour and have a tach go to fix something. as a matter of even if it is brought to the shop. there is no way this can be true. for any bussiness to operate and pay all the expenses involved it will charge between 60 and 100 per hour. taking into acount average cost this leaves 2 dollars per hour for your help. no not buying this at all
    I am sorry, but you are incorrect. We model our fees after what big box chains charge. Next time you are in best buy, or the equivalent, ask them how much it costs for 5 different services, I will let you choose, then let me know. I know what their prices are, my best friend is the service manager at my local best buy. In addition, I got my 1st "real" tech job at best buy, I then moved on to gateway, then worked as a contractor until 2003, when I started my business. It is not my chore to make you believe me, I can only tell you how I operate.

I'm sure he could find a book that will help him.
    Also, if he has the time he should think about studing for his EPA, It is very intersting reading that he might find very useful to him if he decides to take the test.
    If he checks around on the net I'm sure he'll also find information that would help him to understand HVAC..
    Let us know the outcome.
    Good Luck

i stand corrected and am sorry for any ofense i caused
    i can not conceve what it would be like to have to price along the same lines as a chain or even the gas co
    it is unfair to all of us including you to have to compete to those standarts
    norm gave you the best advice and he is the one to know
    the library has some realy good books also

Originally posted by hiltontech
    I'm sure he could find a book that will help him.
    Also, if he has the time he should think about studing for his EPA, It is very intersting reading that he might find very useful to him if he decides to take the test.
    If he checks around on the net I'm sure he'll also find information that would help him to understand HVAC..
    Let us know the outcome.
    Good Luck

There is nearly nothing of any practical, useful value learned when studying for the EPA refrigerant exam!

It is simply a necessary evil that those of us who work with refrigerants must endure. Regulations that must be followed and that we must know, dates that are meaningless and nothing that will make any of us technicians and troubleshooters.

Just something we have to do to be legal. He will have to get his EPA certification but it will not even come close to providing any useful information regarding the proper service of HVAC systems.

Many people have their drivers licenses but not all of them are good drivers. Same holds true with the EPA certification but even worse. Gotta have it but it does not mean much.

norm sorry you got offended by the MRAC HVAC book recommendation I made perhaps you could recommend a couple from your extensive library? I think that is what the man was asking for LOL.
    When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast