Home Central Heat Air book - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am almost certain, "but not 100%"
    that my technicians spend as much if not more time in school as a HVAC tech. I do not charge near as much for service calls for service as any of my competitors, because we make up for it in volume. I do not understand why companies need to have high prices to make money.

I am sure they are making more than $10.00 profit.

But we dont work for sears. and since you are sure they make more than $10.00 on a service call , please tell us how much we make

When you are the one that pays a techs wages-buys a service vehicle-and a million dollars insurance coverage- and pays for all of the other costs of running a busniess, you know exactly how much you have to charge for a call.

You may not have noticed , but the costs of fuel to get to each stop has rizen sharply over the past couple of years
    and everything associated with fuel has risen also. The costs of workmans comp insu , health insurance for the employees has risen

How much per call do you feel an hvac contractor should loose before you feel you are being charged a fair price.

Do you complain when you buy gas? Do you complain when you go to the grocery store? their prices rise daily-- I 'll bet not

Why would you come here and Badmouth the people that you are asking for FREE advise from

Who works for sears?

since you are sure they make more than $10.00 on a service call , please tell us how much we make
    [/quote]

I cant answer that, but if you were only making $10.00 profit, you would be out of business.

When you are the one that pays a techs wages-buys a service vehicle-and a million dollars insurance coverage- and pays for all of the other costs of running a busniess, you know exactly how much you have to charge for a call.
    You may have missed this, but I own my own computer service business, so I think I know how this works and a million dollar insurance policy is not that expensive.

You may not have noticed , but the costs of fuel to get to each stop has rizen sharply over the past couple of years
    and everything associated with fuel has risen also. The costs of workmans comp insu , health insurance for the employees has risen
    My guys and I are buying the same fuel as you and we also drive low MPG trucks.

How much per call do you feel an hvac contractor should loose before you feel you are being charged a fair price.
    Never said anyone should loose money, but if the consumer can do most of the work themselves, why call a tech?

Why would you come here and Badmouth the people that you are asking for FREE advise from
    That is just it, I have been under attack from the time I started this thread. Only a couple of people have answered this post with respect to it's title and you are not one of them. I can see that trying to get an answer out of the "professionals" mouth was a waste of time, since most of you have seen this as an attack on your well being.

Talking Fees

I remember when I handed the repair bill to the home owner. He looked it over and with much consternation remarked, " I'm a brain surgeon and I don't make that much an hour!"

My reply, "Sir, I didn't make that much when I was a brain surgeon either."

Everyone wants something for nothing, and usually complain when the true value is discovered.

When I went thru the latest training program a couple of years ago, we were issued a book called Modern Refrigeration and Air Conditiong the publisher is The Goodheart-Willcox Company, Inc. the manual is authored by Althouse-Turnquist-Bracciano. I use this as a reference quite a bit. I am sure you can find a copy at your local tech school supply store, or technical book store (we have a store actually called proffesional book sellers in my area). If your uncle or whoever buys this book and understands how the refrigeration effect actually works, he is ready to do some maintenance on his own stuff. Warning: some of the information is pretty technical and hard to figure out without some assistance kinda dry/boring/technical stuff also. I see nothing at all wrong with a owner being knowledgable about his own property. Once he understands all the info in the book he will be able to buy a set of guages/a accurate thermistor type thermometer/ a good multi meter and be able to evaluate his units hisself, as he goes thru and does the normal coil cleaning and other regular checkups. I am sure he will call for service when he finds that the unit has developed a leak or bad compressor etc. as the cost of purchasing all the equipment and acheiving the certification required for purchasing refrigerant for say compressor/coil replacement would not be cost effective unless he had a whole bunch of units. Most units will last many many years if properly maintained. UNCONDITIONAL GUARANTEE If the above information does not meet with your (the buyers) approval I will gladly return all the money that you paid for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OU812
    When you give a lesson in meanness to a critter or a person, don't be surprised if they learn their lesson.

dnt hit it on the head.

Thank you kindly.

829...whats your hourly rate and how did you establish it?

Originally posted by docholiday
    829...whats your hourly rate and how did you establish it?
    Good luck getting an honest answer on this one...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

My hourly rate is $20.00 after the first hour. If the job is completed within an hour, then the fee is structured as though the customer brought the computer to me, for example, the customer brings the computer into the shop and pays for the service they want. I also have a $15.00 local area $20.00 out of area onsite fee. I arrived at my fee structure by evaluating what it costs me to arrive onsite, (fuel and paying a tech to be traveling to the site), + what the average technicians wage is.

Good luck getting an honest answer on this one...
    Yellow dot are you really a professional?

http://www.contractorsbookstore.com/index.cfm?step=9
    http://www.books4hvac.com/

in case http://www.medicalbooks.com your father inlaw has any other pursuits.

Good luck.

[Edited by twilli3967 on 05-16-2005 at 05:53 PM]
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Ok, I missed that...

How do you out of 20 an hour pay your tech who ought to be making that much himself, pay all his pay and payroll taxes, pay all his benifits and the salaries, taxes and benefits of the office staff, put a truck full of parts on the road, gas it up, insure it, insure him, insure yourself, advertise, pay the light bill, the gas bill, the warehouse space, the workers comp, the mortgage on your building, taxes on inventory, interest on money owed because of billing, Pay yourself, cover postal expesnes, printing, office computers, chairs, tables, shelves, paper, pens, pencils, lets slip alittle profit in there. Then ask yourself how much sheetmetal tools cost, the cost of returning used refrigerant, plasma cutters, refilling torches, silver solder by the pound, screws, fittings, training, warranty bucket...Im sure others will finish the list.

Doc why did you have to depress me? I had forgotten it wasn't all profit. Damn.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

Doc, you made my head hurt.

I think I will go fishing...

So you pay your tech 7 bucks an hour.

Does he get to drive your company truck to and from work.

Do you pay for him to go to seminars, and classes to stay current.

How many weeks paid vacation does he get.

And yes, I get paid more then you charge an hour.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast