I have a customer who wants to hang a fujitsu three zone (36000 btu) condensing unit on the side of his brick house. I have hung regular condensing units before no problem, but this thing is 4ft tall and 220 lbs. I tell him not to do it, he says others will. Isn't this to big for such an installation? Would brick and morter hold such weight?

Originally posted by icyhotnyc
    I have a customer who wants to hang a fujitsu three zone (36000 btu) condensing unit on the side of his brick house. I have hung regular condensing units before no problem, but this thing is 4ft tall and 220 lbs. I tell him not to do it, he says others will. Isn't this to big for such an installation? Would brick and morter hold such weight?

Not sure.

Just do it if he wants it. Have him sign a waver.

I know the regular units look neat, but this thing has two fans and three compressors, so it's tall.

i would not trust that kind of wieght to mortor and brick
    i would think you need through the wall support
    check with the code department and see what they would want. i am sure there are codes covering this type of applacation
    or just walk away and lieve it alone.

t

why take a chance? you consult with a licensed engineer. plenty around and not that costly. charge the consult to the homeowner. both you and he will have piece of mind and no costly accidents!

most brick is vineer, so only about 4" thick -- it does lucky to stand 4ft vertically -- when higher, it must be fastened to the framing [ the north end of my house now has all lap siding, the brick layers did not use the brick ties in 1974!].
    so, the answer is no.

most masonary walls have no latteral strength, rather they have good compression resistance. most cement walls are kept from falling by the truss of the roof. watch such being built -- notice the temp bracing till the trusses are in place -- look at the damage done by wind to shopping malls.

then, the question becomes will the house framing handle the off center weight? depends -- is this wall supporting a floor above? is this wall supporting the roof? is the foundation for this wall big enuf?

I would hang it on the side of the building with a Steel Frame erector set under it. Let someone else hang it from the side of the bldg, The money you make on that install now will not be worth the problems you will have if it falls

I would hang it and then if it fell you could give him a "I told you so"

Don't forget that waver.

Not gonna do it....besides being heavy as hell, I told him it would look ugly on the side of a nice home. He agreed and I am installing a dual zone (instead of the the three zone). The dual is only 150lbs and is half the size.