Finally fired up an iLon and worked my way through serial connection with HyperTerminal, ethernet through Lan and FTP for starters. I'm still shopping for a management tool but in the mean time I would like to fool with programming web pages and other apps etc. I've been frantically brushing up on SOAP/XML, Javascript and D/Xhtml.
    I believe in studying programming from the ground up so I will start by coding Html and SOAP by hand to get the basics. I have looked at WebGen and and was wondering if there are other similar applications out there that might be a little more robust. (At this point, Free or cheap are preferred)
    Also, watched the video on VB.net programming and was wondering if many of you are using this and if you prefer this over html.

iLon100e2 is a great concept and hardware design.
    Unfortunately, that is where echelon has stopped.
    I can only guess at the cause: Keep the cost down.

Now, the only free package is webgen (which you may have already discovered or you will that it is not very polished)
    The other common ones cost some change and you will see they offer a lot more features but they are just as unpolished as webgen (in my opinion):
    http://www.ivuesystems.com/
    http://www.dotvision.com/products/dvilon100.htm
    http://www.pimm.us/lonworks.asp
    http://www.broadwin.com/downloads/pdf/iLON100.pdf

I suggest if you want a quick solution:
    Make webgen do the grunt work (generate most pages), then rearrange the webgen code manually to suite your needs. This assumes you know enough web coding. If you decide to go this route, make sure you thoroughly read the iLON webserver user guide and any other ilon document you can get a hold of. Webgen makes/forces some rules when parsing some files and folders within the iLON100 that if you do not know about can cause you to sign up for multiple hair transplant operations as I did.

There are some interesting European GUIs for iLON, but they do not/are not for sale as standalone apps.

[Edited by amigo on 05-17-2005 at 01:02 AM]

I guess for now I will try the WebGen route. My web coding is not that good but it will be a challenge for me. I have done very little web lately and XML/SOAP is all new to me.

What about VB.net? Is that a viable solution?

IVue looks decent. I couldn't access the PIMM demo so I am not very impressed.

Thanks for the Broadwin file. That looks useful. I have been reading all of the iLon material that I can find. I have printed all the pdfs that are on the disk. There is a lot there.

I am sure you have noticed that most examples that Echelon provides for iLON100 use .net suite. So it is a good bet that any .net app will work well with the iLON.

I am not sure what you are trying to do, whether it is to suck data out of the ilon, or publish web pages on the ilon, etc. So depending on your task you will have to make some decisions.

I know echelon is working on some hybrid form of web data retrival for the iLON like:
    http://www.adaptivepath.com/publicat...ves/000385.php

I think echelon calls it JACK, so before you take the full jump and develop a full blown app from scratch think of ways to leverage what is already available and build on it.

May be Lonboy can jump in here and volunteer some information about the JACK project. May be give us some release dates.

JACK works great!

.... except for 1004 - irritating

sysint..... What is JACK? I have searched the web but can find no mention of it. Is that a version of JAWS? Is it Java based? Everything I see on JAWS is from JBOSS. I have only scanned the info but it mentions 'beans' quite a bit. Where would I find JACK?

Hold on a month or three and I think you will have a nice solution... e - that's what I think.

Ohayou Gozaimas from Japan where I'm doing some training for a large IP infrastructure company who also will manage LonWorks/IP connectivity.

Sys, have you installed the e2 service pack 1? This is supposed to fix that irratating 1004 error.

JACK, or the JavaScript Agent Connection Kit, is a JavaScript that runs within Internet Explorer (version 6.0 or later) and facilitates communication between the browser and an i.LON 100 Internet Server’s WebService interface.

I have the JACK manual. If you'd like a copy, drop an email to me at gpowell@echelon.com

Sayonara,
    lb

A hundred million nodes - it's a LON story.

Sounds like a download!

Thanks