Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bryant furnace warranty question

Do I have to have my furnace serviced by the installing dealer to have it covered under my Bryant 10 parts and labor warranty? Or can I call any Bryant factory authorized dealer?
    Thanks
    cougar 123

Great question. I would like to know the answer, as well. Even simpler, does the installing contractor have to provide the labor and parts during the first year or could another authorized service contractor do this?

As a followup question, I would also like to know if you did not purchase an extended labor warranty from your installing contractor (because you ultimately were unimpressed with their install) can a HO purchase a 10-year labor warranty from another contractor, within the first year of ownership?

Do extended labor warranties work somewhat like those for automobiles? That is, does the dealer selling the extended warranty make some profit from the sale of the "policy" and send the balance of the monies directly to Bryant/Carrier to purchase the coverage based on the serial numbers of the units covered. Bryant/Carrier, then, for 10-years, provides labor payments to the servicing contractor?

I have Carrier equipment, so I assume the same rules would apply to Bryant.

I think you can use any Bryant and possbily Carrier Factory Authorized dealer for repairs under the 10 year parts and labor warranty. I assume you are not happy with the original installation dealer and you want to switch to someone else. You should call Bryant's customer service number and ask this question.

There may be a time limit as to when you can purchase the 10 year labor warranty. Call Bryant ASAP to find out the details.

My Carrier system was installed by a Factory Authorized Dealer. He bundles the 10 year Carrier warranty on all quotes. Without any prompting by me, he stated Carrier pays well on warranty claims. I thought this was interesting since NJ has some of the highest labor rates in the US.

When I have sold 'labor warrantys',I sell them at my cost. And no,if you use an outside contractor,and u have no extended labor warranty,they will not honor the installing companys first year. Can u take your toyota to ford dealership n get the free oil changes/tire rotations,I think not.
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

to Lions_lair,
    No, but I can take my Chevy to any Chevy dealer and have it repaired under warranty.I did not buy extra parts/ labor warranty.
    My question originally was do I have to have it serviced by the factory authorized installer or I'm I free to choose someone else that is a Bryant dealer?

Thanks for the reply,
    cougar123

And by the same token. Any licensed contractor can get the parts warranty. But only the original company is going to honor the first year labor for free.
    "If you can’t describe what you are doing as a process, you don’t know what you are doing." ~ W. Edwards Deming

All those who wander..are not lost.

Do NOT..mistake my kindness for weakness.

The early bird may get the worm..but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Quote Originally Posted by lions_lair View Post
    And by the same token. Any licensed contractor can get the parts warranty. But only the original company is going to honor the first year labor for free.
    Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. Are you saying Carrier/Bryant does not reimburse the the original installing contractor for their labor time when doing first-year warranty work? Or, are you saying that Carrier/Bryant will only reimburse the original installing contractor for their labor time when doing first-year warranty work? Or is it something else?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by cougar123 View Post
    to Lions_lair,
    No, but I can take my Chevy to any Chevy dealer and have it repaired under warranty.I did not buy extra parts/ labor warranty.
    My question originally was do I have to have it serviced by the factory authorized installer or I'm I free to choose someone else that is a Bryant dealer?

Thanks for the reply,
    cougar123
    This isn't a car which by the time you make a purchase it's a finished product. In terms of a HVAC system...it's not technically a finished product until the installation process is completed. Since every installer and every home is different there is no uniform process only best industry standards.

To ask Dealer B to perform warranty work on Dealer A's equipment/installation is not only frowned upon it's effectively voiding your installing dealers obligation to continue covering the labor for that first year the moment the other contractor gets involved making any repairs.

It might would be different if the manufacture were directly involved but understand that you are dealing with a contractor who DEALS the equipment. A Bryant dealer doesn't make him a direct representative of that corporation just a contractor qualified and trained to sale their products. Dealer A and Dealer B are not on the same team...they are playing against each other.

To answer some of your other questions.

After the first year warranty: Yes you can have another Bryant dealer take over the P&L as long as that dealer is willing to do it. Most will but some won't. If you read your 10 yr P&L contract sheet that Bryant sends out on the back there should be plenty of useful information regarding reasonable expectations of the end-user to maintain the equipment and be able to show where the equipment was regularly maintained. Most of the time it's not a big deal but it's in the writing that regular maintenance be performed. Some dealers will parlay that into getting you on an annual maintenance agreement which is not a bad thing to have anyways.

Look at it from a dealers perspective again: I had a customer I hadn't heard from in exactly 9.5 years that purchased a 10 year parts and labor warranty. This customer neglected his maintenance of his unit but knew when his unit finally died that he wanted to hold my feet to the fire on a 10 year old warranty. I honored the warranty but told the customer he really should have had regular service work done. Basically I'm doing work at labor rates from 10 years ago because the guy didn't want to do normal up-keep on his system. Is that fair to me? IMO No.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Quote Originally Posted by BFORD1119 View Post
    Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly. Are you saying Carrier/Bryant does not reimburse the the original installing contractor for their labor time when doing first-year warranty work? Or, are you saying that Carrier/Bryant will only reimburse the original installing contractor for their labor time when doing first-year warranty work? Or is it something else?

Thanks.
    The installer is solely responsible for labor warranty during the first year and does not get reimbursed by anybody. There are some exceptions to this.
    Karst means cave. So, I search for caves.

I haven't messed with these in a while. If I remember correctly, the installing contractor offers the 1st year labor warranty. The one you purchased, as long as he isn't self insuring kicks in at year 2 through 10. Parts are generally going to be 5 years, unless you go online and register it yourself and you get the next 5 years free. They just started this. If your system is more than a few months old, it wasn't qualified when it was installed. This has just started over the last 2-3 months. I've done repairs on equipment that was installed by another company with the labor covered by Carrier/Bryant. I had to get the documentation to provide to the supply house to prove it. The reimbursed amounts were somewhat of a joke and barely covered any COSTS. No money was made by us on our actual costs vs. making any money on it. We don't sell the things unless somebody asks for it. Losing proposition on the contractors end. That is why we mark them up a little to offset some of the costs. Your best bet would be to go to Bryant.com and inquire as to what your actualy rights are.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by karsthuntr View Post
    The installer is solely responsible for labor warranty during the first year and does not get reimbursed by anybody. There are some exceptions to this.
    That is interesting. So, the manufacturer requires that the original installer pony up for labor costs during the first year, even if the failure is unrelated to the installation? I can understand a manufacturer distancing themselves from non-part failure labor costs in the first year, but not covering the labor associated with a failed part replacement surprises me. Apparently, the manufacturer is assuming that any problem is install-related. Is this the manufacturer's way of improving the likelihood of a "good" install?

Any heating and air company can service the system. All you have to do is provide proof of routine maintinence (twice a year, one heat one cool). Usually contractors that did NOT install the equipment will not even ask. Its the repair work that is done for which a Bryant authorized dealer might be needed in order to get reimbursed for the labor portion of the job.

Quote Originally Posted by BFORD1119 View Post
    That is interesting. So, the manufacturer requires that the original installer pony up for labor costs during the first year, even if the failure is unrelated to the installation? I can understand a manufacturer distancing themselves from non-part failure labor costs in the first year, but not covering the labor associated with a failed part replacement surprises me. Apparently, the manufacturer is assuming that any problem is install-related. Is this the manufacturer's way of improving the likelihood of a "good" install?
    Yes and no.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast