Just looking for thermostat recommendations for an Amana AMV9 furnace (70,000 btu). We're working out final details with the contractor this week, and I'd like to get this part right. We haven't discussed details yet - he did mention a digital talking thermostat, but I have no idea which one that might be.

I'm assuming that with this furnace we would want a two-stage thermostat. Any specific brands/models that would be especially appropriate? Previous contractors (estimates) have bluntly told me that there's no reason to use a two-stage thermostat with a two-stage furnace, that my single-stage thermo will do just fine. I've always questioned that thinking, especially after what I've read here in the past. If we're spending the bucks on a two-stage furnace, I'd sure like to get the most benefit from it.

Also, should we consider adding a humidistat for better dehumidification during summer (A/C will be Amana RCE, 2-1/2 ton). If so, I am clueless on what to tell the contractor about that - in the past I've gotten blank stares when asking about it, so I'm guessing it isn't widely done around here. We're in MN, but we have our share of humid 75 degree days when it would be nice to be able to pull some humidity out of the air without cooling the house to 65 degrees...