Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Air Movers View Post
    I don't know what size the shop has to do with it don't take working your whole life for a big company and just getting by on the small outfits. I worked for big shops where guys could care less about the company name because it's not theirs, but anyway I wanted to make some real money and also so I can do things the right way like weighing in my charge if the manufacturers call for it a lot of the times its the big shops that are HACKS because the cheap ass boss won't buy everyone the proper tools but he'll send them to do any type of call and to do start ups and then I would go behind one of my fellow co workers and fix all their mess up's. A lot of these big shop owners would rather do it twice instead of nice!!!
    the size of the shop doesn't matter.....i have never worked for what i consider a "big" shop. the current company i have worked at for the last seven years is the biggest i have ever worked at we have 7 journeyman and 4 apprentice/light duty techs in the service department and roughly the same in construction/install......the point i was trying to make is, over my career i have followed up after quite a few supposed service techs that dont us good practices, i.e no micron gauges, nitrogen,scales,vaccum pumps etc.they think they can just touchy feely their way thruogh a call....and lot of those just happen to be guys that get their epa card and then go of on their own thinking they know this thing we do! my belief is if you do a job, do it right....and all of the best techs i know use the proper tools of the trade and the callbacks are very few......touch and feel are part of the troubleshooting process at times......but for someone to suggest learning not to us proper practices is someone who does not this trade very well.....sorry if i may have offended you!

ok, i just threw my scale in the trash.

when can i expect to be enlightened on the correct ways to charge. minus a scale?

jeep

Keep a can of beer in an ice bucket close at hand.
    When the suction line is that cold, you have the correct charge.
    Now, drink the beer.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
    Mark Twain
    More at: http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/education/

Quote Originally Posted by mfry View Post
    This would be in fractional hp reach-ins

Just curious?

If you do............... It's time to learn not to, and figure the amount that's needed on your own.

But, that's me.
    Is it just me or is this guy a moron?....ALL of his posts in this thread tell me I would never want him working on anything with any kind of refrigerant in it.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    ( "That's pretty close to accurate." )Jp. VTP I'm thinking the pretty close to accurate part has more to do with the end more so then the begining part of this post VTP. Jp This should have effectively eliminated most, if not all, non-pros with pro status.
    Do you know what i mean ? ( I changed your quote so everone knows )
    And while i'm thinking of it why is this able to be done ( the changing one's quote )

Quote Originally Posted by calloushands View Post
    Working in a company that services several fractional refrigeration systems daily, it has become very important to use a scale. A tech in 1 hour can diagnosis between a low charge (leak), restricted cap tube, or a weak compressor.
    The first thing he does is add nitro to the system, if it holds, no leak, step 2, evacuate and weight in charge. If unit still shows signs of low charge there is a restricted cap tube. Especially when you almost double the weighed in amount just to get your suction pressure up.
    Your procedure is to slow! Just messin wit ya....

Seriously, some of you guys have totally derailed the subject of "fractional units".

I would agree that scales are the right way to go, however the factory charge is fine, but there are alot of variables to the charge.
    Drier size, age of unit, new cap tube, etc.

Ill just say this. I see the original posters view and i do agree with him, However, Unless you have a clean system and new cap tube, really the scale is your best freind.

I have had my fill of restricted 134a systems. I myself have always OVER CHARGED these systems, "slightly" when doing a comp/cap tube change out.
    I personally have found that bringing back more suction and cooler suction helps these 134a systems out tremendously!
    Or besides over charging, ill simply remove a few inches of cap tube to get the same effect.

So, i guess my point is, i dont always use a scale on fractional systems and i dont always see the need to. But there are times that its actually easier to use them.

If you are a true ref tech you can get it right or even better with a little patience.

If you enjoy being anal about critical charging, i sugest you get into cascade refrigeration, specifically auto-cascade

If the name plate gives you a charge amount I always weigh it in. 18 oz. Refrigerant. To the 50 ton split a few months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    Not so funny. Back in the good old days, that was about the best thing going.
    Dial a Charge came next for 10 or 20 years.
    Finally we got electronic scales.

When I started, service vacuum pumps did not exist.
    I could go on, and on, and on.
    It has been a real trip.
    what did you do in lieu of vacuum pumps?

Just bought me a CPS digital scale today! Before that I was using my wifes bathroom scale :P

Quote Originally Posted by dave sulz View Post
    If the name plate gives you a charge amount I always weigh it in. 18 oz. Refrigerant. To the 50 ton split a few months ago.
    I have yet to see a 50 ton unit with a name plate charge on it, or in fact on any field charged unit.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Ya, some have them. I know the lennox's do and so does the kairak refer system I service

Quote Originally Posted by lynn comstock View Post
    Not so funny. Back in the good old days, that was about the best thing going.
    Dial a Charge came next for 10 or 20 years.
    Finally we got electronic scales.

When I started, service vacuum pumps did not exist.
    I could go on, and on, and on.
    It has been a real trip.
    Back in the day (that was 59 for me), we had vacuum pumps. They were not good, B&G pumps with carbon rings in them. Were good for about 27" of vacuum. Triple evac and then purge. Only critical charge units were cap tubes, and the units came with correlation charts with them. We survived.
    If you really know how it works, you have an execellent chance of fixin' er up!

Tomorrow is promised to no one...

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast