Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I use the factory tag as a baseline .

Quote Originally Posted by drjfjr View Post
    I guess you are fortunate since we have to keep a record of all refrigerant used and recovered by pound. They even check our records on occasion. Hope the EPA in your area do not do spot check on independents.
    I'm not breaking any EPA rules. What I have purchased is what I have used. And the customer gets an invoice.

u say minimum charge .. how many pounds would that initial charge be equal to when its more than minimum & u then charge per additional pound?

I only carry the scale with me when charging from a fresh vacuum.

When just tweaking or adding a I'll weigh the jug at my truck, mark the weight on top of the tank, go do the charging, then weigh the tank again when back at the truck. That way the weight is marked on the tank for the next call. So in reality I'm just weighing the tank at the end of each call. Makes for one less thing to carry around.

I didn't use a scale for a good many years.

I learned to charge by touch and suction pressure.

I simply guessed at the amount of gas used.

In order to get a unit charge 'trimmed' right, it would sometimes take a half an hour or more.

Then I was helping an apprentice find and fix a leak one day and he had a little CPS charging scale.

The speed and accuracy with which the system was charge stunned me.

In less than 5 minutes, we charged the unit from vacuum. Left it run while we cleaned the tools up and did a final check. Perfect.

I got one the next day and have used it ever since.

There is no excuse for not doing a job properly.

On systems that are self contained and have short linesets why increase the filter drier size? Now on larger split systems with longer linesets I understand doing this, but why on small units? The only thing the small systems typically consist of are compressor, cap tube and sometimes TXV, evap and cond coils. Why would you replace any of these with not the equivalent? Weigh it in according to nameplate and move on. Doesn't mean I can't check superheat and subcooling just don't think its necessary on such small self-contained units. Please correct me If I am wrong in this thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    I didn't use a scale for a good many years.

I learned to charge by touch and suction pressure.

I simply guessed at the amount of gas used.

In order to get a unit charge 'trimmed' right, it would sometimes take a half an hour or more.

Then I was helping an apprentice find and fix a leak one day and he had a little CPS charging scale.

The speed and accuracy with which the system was charge stunned me.

In less than 5 minutes, we charged the unit from vacuum. Left it run while we cleaned the tools up and did a final check. Perfect.

I got one the next day and have used it ever since.

There is no excuse for not doing a job properly.
    Was that CPS scale the type that you just set the tank on or something else?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    On systems that are self contained and have short linesets why increase the filter drier size? Now on larger split systems with longer linesets I understand doing this, but why on small units? The only thing the small systems typically consist of are compressor, cap tube and sometimes TXV, evap and cond coils. Why would you replace any of these with not the equivalent? Weigh it in according to nameplate and move on. Doesn't mean I can't check superheat and subcooling just don't think its necessary on such small self-contained units. Please correct me If I am wrong in this thinking.
    I often find factory installed driers to be smaller than what the drier manufacturer suggests should be used on that particular sized system. so when system gets opened maybe a larger one is used as replacement. or like a cap tube system with a copper spun drier getting a C052CAPT as a replacement .. that's when I would change size only ..... but my starting point is name plate

Quote Originally Posted by dunkman View Post
    Was that CPS scale the type that you just set the tank on or something else?
    CPS 2200, I think.

Yep. Set the tank on it, tare it and charge away.

Fieldpiece makes a nice scale, set the cylinder on it and zero it.

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroTolerance View Post
    What if the system is contaminated with moisture?

Maybe had a bad compressor burnout?

There are reasons for installation of a larger drier. Many times, it can be seen as a warning sign of other system problems.

are digital scales not a normal thing ? that's all I know about

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 33 View Post
    are digital scales not a normal thing ? that's all I know about
    I have used a digital scale for years, I guess many people don't use them.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast