I just moved into a new house in Finksburg Maryland which included a 1 year Home Warranty from HMS National. I was concerned before even moving in and had posted some messages on this forum because the HVAC is a Goodman. I had always heard Goodman was at the bottom of heap but had improved some as of late. My HVAC is 8 years old and I tried to turn it on for the first time and their is no power all to the Thermostat. I got out my Volt meter and found a blown 3AMP AGC type fuse on the control panel in the inside unit. I installed a new 3 amp fuse and it blew in about 30 seconds. I can smell the transformer windings burning at it was hot to the touch. I know a short somewhere has caused the tansformer get hot. I would guess the tech will just swap out the Control board. If I continue to have problem s I want to get a new unit. Has anyone ever worked with HMS before? Will they let me pay extra to get a unit of my choice? I know we can't discuss proces here but about how much more would a Trane unit be than a replacement Goodman? Also Does anyone work in the Finksburg area that could work with me. HMS told me to call Combustion and Cooling. I don't know them at all.

Thanks

Rob

You have a short in the 24 volt circuit and want a new unit from a Home Warranty Company? A short could be any where not just the board. My experience is that it's usually not the board. More than likely theres a wire rubbing some where that needs to be found, repaired, and secured.

No. I'm sorry I did not mean this to sound like I want a new unit based on this issue alone. I was just thinking forward if I continue to have problems through out the year and it turns out HMS decides to swap out the unit I wanted to replace it with another brand if possible. If the system is keeping me cool in the summer and warm in the winter I could care less if the badge says Goodman. If it comes to a replace however I want the option to choose another brand. I did not intend to sound like an unreasonable customer.

Thanks

I'm not sure how a transformer burned when it has in-line fuse protection.
    You have a low voltage issue that will be easily remedied with a competent technician to address your problem.

You'll have to pay for the service call and then let the tech figure it out. You may get very lucky where the insurance company will pay for some of the replacement but it will take a lot of skeaky wheel talk from you. Two days after we closed on our house, the shower started to leak and had to have the whole shower pan redone (it cost $1400 including labor and tile replacement). Our home warranty coverage would only cover the cost of pipe replacement but after arguing the fact that they had to tear out the shower to get to the pipe, I got a check for $900. A month later, the motor in the AC unit died and it was replaced for the cost of a $45 service call as well.

Post g

a qualified service tech should be able to find your short in an hour or less. once repaired, don't see ya having the same trouble continuing for a year. being dishonest with your home warranty people is mis-representation & possibly fraud. 2nd, they won't replace your unit until the service tech who comes out condemns it. most home shield companys are willing to up-grade your system, but you will have to pay the difference. i mean, they get goodman products at a certain price, you want a trane, you will have to pay the difference in costs. usually the retail cost & mark-up, not just the dead cost between the two. they won't tell you what they actually pay for equipment, why would they. they are in business to make coin, not give it away, right!

The tech came today and in about three hours he found and repaired a pinched thermostat wire in the basement ceiling. After he left I fired up the unit and set the AC for 62. The room temp was 66. While it was running I walked around and felt the air blowing out of each register. I was impressed at how much air and was being pumped to the opposite side of the house. It turned off in a short time as the temp was now 62. I left the unit on and headed out for dinner. When I got back I noticed that the LCD diplay was out again and the unit would not power on. I took thhe cover off the unit and the same 3A fuse is blown again.

I'm calling 1st thing in the morning to see if they can come back out. For the hour or so it was working it was blowing out some serious air.