Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weak comp?

weak comp?

this is for a walk in freezer just wondering if someone could run the numbers to see if i got a weak compressor?
    copeland model CF06K6E-PFV-253
    suction pressure 28lbs
    discharge pressure 325lbs
    amp draw 7

thanks in advance and let me know if i need more info, i did forget to check voltage at compressor but its 208v

Refrigerant? Condenser coil and fan condition? Ambient temps? Doubt it's weak. Amps are actually a little high for an 06K6E.

..... oh crap, is it supposed to do that?

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

404a cleaned the condenser and 90 ambient....for what its worth the rated RLA are 11.4

Here's the performance chart for the CF06K6E-PFV:

CF06K6E-PFV.pdf

The data at 28 psig and 325 psig with R404A looks like about 8.7 amps at 230V. If your actual supply voltage is 208V the it would be 8.7 x (230/208) = 9.6 amps

If you're only drawing 7 amps, I'd say your compressor isn't doing what it's supposed to do.

thanks icemeister for the info... is there a link or some way to get these performance charts for different compressors? thanks again

I just changed the same compressor out a few days ago... same refrigerant... i looked as something wrong

..... oh crap, is it supposed to do that?

I can't fix it if it won't stay broke..

and also one more thing that puzzles me is why is the amp draw suppost to be so much lower then the RLA rating yet i would think with the pressures being high it should make me think it should be above the RLA? thanks just trying to understand

Quote Originally Posted by jat2020 View Post
    thanks icemeister for the info... is there a link or some way to get these performance charts for different compressors? thanks again
    For Copeland compressors, go to the Emerson Climate website page, register (it's quick and painless), then go to Tools > Online Product Info > Compressors:

http://www.emersonclimate.com/en-US/pages/default.aspx

You may also want to download their Product Selection Software. When you in the OPI page, at the tabs across the top of the page look for Software Downloads. It will not only create data sheets, but allows you to checks amps and lots of other cool stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jat2020 View Post
    and also one more thing that puzzles me is why is the amp draw suppost to be so much lower then the RLA rating yet i would think with the pressures being high it should make me think it should be above the RLA? thanks just trying to understand
    The unit's nameplate RLA includes all the electrical components on the unit based on the amp draw for the compressor at its worst case set of operating conditions, which according to the performance data it would be up there close to 11 amps.

thanks again icemeister for taking the time to help me out

At what percentage of variance of amp draw from a performance chart do you call it a bad compressor?

Quote Originally Posted by PMARS2345 View Post
    At what percentage of variance of amp draw from a performance chart do you call it a bad compressor?

I tend to think this way:

I'm there because it is not performing.

If it doesn't match up with the performance charts fairly closely, then I tend towards that as a problem.

In this example, the 28# suction would be the reason my evap isn't cold enough to maintain temp. Since we have a high suction and a low amp draw per the chart, I would condemn the compressor.

I have found the charts and the program on my laptop to be extremely accurate when fed good data. Seldom are they off by more than a fraction of an amp.

I assume you already tried seeing if it will pump it down to 0 psi ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast