Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Small walk in freezer

Called to look at an old inop walk in freezer. No info on history. Semi hermetic k body m#kaa2-0075-cav. Says 12/22/502
    Singer evap m#dh2-21-2
    Box 4x5x5.

Question is not knowing what refer is in here etc.. Can it run fine on either 12/22/502 depending on what txv is installed? It's a flare txv, easy to access and change. What would you do.? The info on compressor from the opi page says its a cfc12 low temp. Doesn't mention the other refers. Reciever and coil also say 12/22/502. Don't have experiance with these multi rated compressors. Thanks

The compressor or evap says 22/22/502?
    See what valve is in there.

I was not able to see anything on powerhead. Do I have the option to use 22 if i put a 22 txv in as well? Is that the idea on these dual rated k body's?

From copelands web site
    R-12 low temp
    https://opi.emersonclimate.com/was.e...web/OPIServlet

I noticed the printout shows r12 low temp also. That's why I'm confused. The actual metal nameplate on compressor says r12/22/502? If its 12 only, i can't do much. I'm not buying new refrigerant for one job. I carry 134,404,416a,22 now. I thought if it was dual rated for 502 as well, i would get a 404 txv and try that? 134a being the other choice, i don't think is the best for a freezer.

R-134A is not an option.
    I believe MP-66 is the best replacement for R-12 in low temp applications

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    R-134A is not an option.
    I believe MP-66 is the best replacement for R-12 in low temp applications
    You are 100% correct MP-66 is the best for low temp 12...
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

See what valve is in the unit, possibly stamped on valve body depending on age and valve. You can alway swap out valve and put 408 in it and be done with it.

Hope this helps.
    Isn't sanity just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is that one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, well, the sky's the limit!

Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    I noticed the printout shows r12 low temp also. That's why I'm confused. The actual metal nameplate on compressor says r12/22/502? If its 12 only, i can't do much. I'm not buying new refrigerant for one job. I carry 134,404,416a,22 now. I thought if it was dual rated for 502 as well, i would get a 404 txv and try that? 134a being the other choice, i don't think is the best for a freezer.
    So you want something for 'freezer' applications? It used to be very common for Copeland compressors to be rated for R-12 high temp and R-502 low temp. R-502 pressures are pretty much the same as R-22, so that nomenclature plate doesn't throw up any alarms for me; and if I'm not mistaken, R-502 is R-22 with another refrigerant added for better oil return at low temps.

Basically, on the surface, that compressor can handle R-404a for a freezer application.

If it is still a self contained unit, and we're talking an old school unit, check the temp pressure relationship in maybe early morning. R-12 will be obvious. There is a bit of difference between R-22 and R-502, but enough to make it easy.

Or you could just see if it is outfitted with defrost heaters and a time clock . . . That might be your first clue . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    So you want something for 'freezer' applications? It used to be very common for Copeland compressors to be rated for R-12 high temp and R-502 low temp. R-502 pressures are pretty much the same as R-22, so that nomenclature plate doesn't throw up any alarms for me; and if I'm not mistaken, R-502 is R-22 with another refrigerant added for better oil return at low temps.

Basically, on the surface, that compressor can handle R-404a for a freezer application.

If it is still a self contained unit, and we're talking an old school unit, check the temp pressure relationship in maybe early morning. R-12 will be obvious. There is a bit of difference between R-22 and R-502, but enough to make it easy.

Or you could just see if it is outfitted with defrost heaters and a time clock . . . That might be your first clue . . .
    If you try to use R-22 In that compressor for a low temp application you will destroy it.

Quote Originally Posted by skpkey9 View Post
    If you try to use R-22 In that compressor for a low temp application you will destroy it.
    When did I say R-22 was appropriate for a low temp app. ?

Quote Originally Posted by BBeerme View Post
    When did I say R-22 was appropriate for a low temp app. ?
    Re- read your last post ...

Here is the report i was looking for
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast