Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

XCL5010 obsolete?

Hi everyone,
    So I have 4 DDC controllers (XCL5010) along with bunch of I/O modules for each. Couple of years ago one of my units went dead, and I bought another one for about $$$$, not too shabby. Now recently i checked the price and it was $$$$$$$$$$, thats crazy... If these units are indeed becoming obsolete, what are my options for the future in case another part dies on me?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 02-22-2011 at 05:57 AM. Reason: Removed Pricing

The I/O is Lonworks, so you need something with a lot of network variables and some control logic capability to replace the XCL5010s. Sounds like a job for Loytec or possibly a JACE.

so you are saying that I can switch from honeywell to another control company without having to switch out the I/O hardware? as well as the SymmetrE software?

I'm sorry i'm not really a controls person, i'm trying to explore my options.

also is it possible to use another software like SymmetrE, with the honeywell XCL5010s?

Maybe your guy does not want to support XL anymore. If the XL is LON and not C-bus then you can use something other than Symmetre for monitor and control.

I think it is C-Bus. What are my options in that case?

As for my Control guy, sadly he is no longer with us (RIP).

Thank you

Cbus is proprietary honeywell so your options are reduced. I would investigate how many zone managers and ebus devices you may have. Likely you have many. If so, there are three options. I will put them in order from less free/less cost:
    1. Find a competent honeywell tech.
    2. Consider migrating to a semi-proprietary honeywell framework called tridium.
    3. Pursue an open system implementation based on e bus (lon) or another open protocol.

Long term number three is less expensive, but you may not care dependent on what started you down a proprietary solution in the first place.

Btw, I have bias on the product side to one of the manufacturers mentioned in this thread. If you want details email or pm me. Obviously also I have honeywell background.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Cbus is proprietary honeywell so your options are reduced. I would investigate how many zone managers and ebus devices you may have. Likely you have many. If so, there are three options. I will put them in order from less free/less cost:
    1. Find a competent honeywell tech.
    2. Consider migrating to a semi-proprietary honeywell framework called tridium.
    3. Pursue an open system implementation based on e bus (lon) or another open protocol.

Long term number three is less expensive, but you may not care dependent on what started you down a proprietary solution in the first place.
    The reason we went with Honeywell system is because the guy we got it from recommended based on his experience that honeywell is the most reliable system out there. So we took his word for it. Though i'm sure it is one of the best. However we are now limited to Honeywell product only i guess.

The "open system" that you speak of, is it open source like linux? is it comparable to Honeywell system?

Lonmark.org . Honeywell has some nice hardware. Cbus was around a long time so at the time a good decision I think. So, you need to evaluate where you are and where you want to be. Of course many factors to consider. Again, you need to see how much c and e bus you have.

Quote Originally Posted by sysint View Post
    Lonmark.org . Honeywell has some nice hardware. Cbus was around a long time so at the time a good decision I think. So, you need to evaluate where you are and where you want to be. Of course many factors to consider. Again, you need to see how much c and e bus you have.
    Thanks.
    Sorry in advance for the stupid question i'm about to ask "how to identify e-bus and c-bus devices"?

W 7750, xl 10. Basically unitary controllers like vav, heat pump, rooftop. Any devices under a zone manager. Xl 50, 80, 100, 500, 600, 800 are different. Do a search or contact me for more clarification

Quote Originally Posted by zer0 View Post
    The "open system" that you speak of, is it open source like linux? is it comparable to Honeywell system?
    The c-bus driver from Infocon and the Neopsis Driver/hardware I understand will work with Honeywell C-bus.

Tridium is Honeywell ... of sorts. Honeywell own them just like they own Alerton and Novar ... amongst others.

It is Open source as in, most of the source for just about any object is published, extended JAVA ... they call BAJA.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast