The compressor exploded today.Why? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thumbs down

After all the intelligence advice we gave this guy, one would expect him to either cuss or say hello.

Talking

Hmmm,

It that had been me there, I would have had to see if hte boss would pay for the replacement pair of Pants and Underwear I would require after that "boom".

I too am curious to know if customer pays the invoice or not?

With everything else aside my thoughts would be this.

Mr. Customer, with all due respect, I was almost killed on your roof today. Here is your estimate of repairs; we need your approval to start the job. There is no charge for today’s call due to the fact I am in a hurry to get back to the shop and kick my boss’s a$$. Thank you for using Stupid-R-Us. Please let us know when to start your repairs.

well, umm. we know one thing, we need a new compressor in that unit!!!! i also wonder about the new ummm clothing that would be required after that. just say your boss told you. also, tell your boss that you do not want to go there again. he might just listen or he will run away and never come back.

Sometimes you are just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I admit I have not had things like this happen to me very often, but occasionally, you just happen to be there when it decides to take a dump. Other than the 200 psi. discharge pressure, what were the other circumstances surrounding the big boom? Was suction pressure normal? Did compressor sound normal? Did you happen to be testing voltage at the header terminals or otherwise manipulating the wires connected to the compressor when this happened?
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Senior Tech Guest
    Note to self...throw away jumper wire...

Originally posted by dorrmann
    You can look on the bright side of this situation...if you do the replacement, there won't be any recovery necessary.
    but you will need to turn your clothing in to the e.p.a.

yes the oil was black and stinky, and how the heck is a little cover going to do to stop an explosion like that.I was not messing with wires when it blew but I was watching the gages right at start up and blow up.All I can say is everything looked normal for a start up--high side started getting higher fast and low side started for low fast and BOOOOOOM.
    I get on this site every night but due to time zone differences I usually have to wait til the next day after work to check stuff.
    The meter I used was a fluke multi-meter and I set it to check for ohms.All terminals showed measurable resistance and I checked each terminal to suction line to check for ground.all checked fine.
    Someone please tell me he didn't just tell me the plastic cover was supposed to stop the explosion.I'm new,but that just makes no sense to me whatever

yes the cust paid the bill.But it comes off the price of replacement.

Originally posted by grodan1
    yes the oil was black and stinky, and how the heck is a little cover going to do to stop an explosion like that...

The meter I used was a fluke multi-meter and I set it to check for ohms.All terminals showed measurable resistance and I checked each terminal to suction line to check for ground.all checked fine.
    Someone please tell me he didn't just tell me the plastic cover was supposed to stop the explosion.I'm new,but that just makes no sense to me whatever
    No, it's not there to stop the explosion.
    It is there to contain flying debris.

All of the old guys have seen compressors with blown terminals.
    Quite a few have seen it happen.
    It looks like you got lucky and got to see it while still young.

One problem with trying to figure out EXACTLY what happened is that the evidence has been destroyed.
    The compressor manufacturer has a lab, staff of engineers, and support.
    They don't always discover the cause.

It is exciting to watch one blow.
    Most that have seen one blow really don't know why it happened.
    Some of the possible contributing factors have been posted earlier.
    It is likely that the compressor was sick before you worked on it.
    I really don't think you caused it to blow, even by jumping the temp switch.
    I don't think a healthy compressor will puke its guts, just because you jumped a discharge thermostat.
    Most have an internal overload to protect the motor windings.

I think your meter was not able to detect a leak to ground.
    Many meters read only up to 200 ohms.
    It could have path to ground and read infinity, if that path exceeds the range of your meter.
    That would lead you to believe the windings are okay.

Fluke has a wide range of meters.

What model is yours?

your boss is the one at fault here you had no idea
    always remember one thing in this trade you are the one who has his face in the unit. things like this happen and realy sometimes you just dont see it comimg either. this is why you close it up and lean back when you fire it back up. dont take anything for granite. saftey always has to come first and this trade has a lot of potentail danger in it.

Are you sure the plastic terminal cover was put there to stop flying debris ?

hell, metal ones will be blown off when those fuselites blow.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast