Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I am checking to see if anyone has experienced a similar problem.

The thermostat involved is a Lux. It stuck in the on position for heat.

The heating system turned on and ran constantly. Home owner was not home.

All limits on the furnace worked but the furnace heated the home to a point that all the candles melted, wine bottles exploded, and the wood surfaced in the home were damaged by the heat and dehydration associated with the event.

Information on any similar experiences would be appreciated.

Ed Carey

lux sux. what do you expect for 18 bux.

What hardware store did you buy it at?

Lux thermostat

I did not install it.

I was attempting to find out information about the problem for a customer.

Ed

He probably bought it at lowes or ace or HD. They are a very inexpensive and the quality and dependability goes with the price they pay for them. If you are now on the job, you better put him into a real thermostat that you have first hand knowlege of its history.

Sounds to me like he has a valid claim against his homeowners insurance policy. It probably won't cover the cost of a new thermostat, but it should cover all losses that resulted from the excessive heat.

candles melting + wine bottles exploding? Just how hot did it get in there? I think I've only melted one candle in my car, and I live in Florida. Wouldn't a high-temp limit switch have stopped the furnace before things got THAT extreme?

As far as the thermostat goes, Hunters have been known to lock the heat on when they fail as well. Maybe both Lux & Hunter get their stats made at the same crap plant in China.

If you get a chance, how 'bout snagging a few photos for us and putting them up in our Hall of Shame? This truly is worthy.

Talking

Lux thermostats aren't a problem for me.

I take them off the wall, get my 4lb hammer and send them straight to Hell, where they belong...then I put on a Honeywell stat in it's place.

No problem!!

Re: Lux thermostat

Originally posted by Edward A. (Ed) Carey
    I did not install it.

I was attempting to find out information about the problem for a customer.

Ed
    Why does everyone assume it came from a hardware store? Capitol Group in my area stocks them. I've never had a problem with them. I only use them on low buck jobs but never had to go back on one.

Yep, not just hardware stores, once I found one in the bottom of a cracker jack box.

Had a customer once where the O wire broke at the outdoor unit, no one home for a week, ran the whole time in heat in mid july, he said the heat nearly knocked him down when he opened the door, all the wallpaper was lying on the floor, everything in the fridge and freezer went bad, ice cream ran out on the floor, nice big mess

There's low-end, then there's bottom-of-the-barrel. Lux is the latter. If it's a real low-end job, I spec either a Honeywell or WR mercury stat (only if I have to). Reputation and reliability are worth more than a few bucks saved.

Post Lennox Sells Lux

You know I can rememebr seeing a LUX Pro display at our Lennox Dealer,lol
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Did you inspect the tstat wiring all the way from the furnace to the stat and back again?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast