We're planning to add an air cleaner with our soon-to-be-installed new HVAC system (Amana AMV9 furnace/Amana RCE A/C) and have read and heard many good things about the Aprilaire 5000. We would run the variable speed blower 24/7 to keep moving air through the filter. We have allergies and asthma in the family, and I know that while an air cleaner isn't the solution to that problem (we have and are taking other steps as well), it can be a very useful piece of the plan.

The contractor who will be installing the new system said he will put in an Aprilaire 5000 if I want one, but he strongly recommended the Dynamic air filter over the Aprilaire. He said he used to like the Aprilaire, but was finally convinced (by test results from an independent organization in Canada?) that it creates too much pressure drop/static pressure, and that the Dynamic is much more free-flowing, and nearly as good at filtering. I had never, in all my reading/researching, heard of Dynamic. After searching, I found both good and bad comments about Dynamic on this site, with mostly good for the Aprilaire 5000. Can anyone shed any light on which way is truly the best to go here? I'd like to come up with a definitive answer here. The Dynamic was also surprisingly pricey, considering what it is and how easily it should install (at least from what I saw on their web site).

Throw the Lennox EAC-20 in the mix!!!

Hey all,

New construction just about complete. Have 2 seperate systems (upstairs and down)...so I need 2 air cleaners.

The builder offers the Lennox EAC-20. Friends of mine have suggested the Aprilaire 5000. The two main reasons for wanting one:
    1. Children w/ Asthma and allergies
    2. Live in So Cal Desert...Lot's of dust to get ride of!

The Lennox, besides the filer and Ion stuff, it has those funky blue UV lights ( do they really kill germs)???

The Aprilaire...no funky blue lights...does it matter.

What do the pros think??? Please help a brother out... Thanks...Dr Grooves

Just say no to UV and ion A good service contract will do far more than those could every do

just compare:
    fractional filtration efficiency, overall MERV, and Pressure Drop in strict accordance to AHSRAE 52.2 test method (not "Al's make-believe test method")...and you will see the way...

If you're referring to the 1" thick electronic filter made by Dynamic, it's a joke. Any filter of that type will have very poor efficiency if not cleaned extremely well and extremely often.

If the filter does in fact capture particles at the efficiency they claim, then because it's a 1" filter with a very limited media area, you'd have to clean it at least once a week if not more often to maintain its efficiency. This is because any 1" filter has a very small surface area compared to a thick pleated filter like the Aprilaire.

The larger the filter's surface area the more room it has to contain x amount of dust. The surface area of a 20x20 1" filter is 2.777 sq. ft. The surface area of the media in a Aprilaire filter is 76 sq. ft.

As a filter loads with dirt it becomes more restrictive to airflow. If the 1" Dynamic filter isn't cleaned often enough it will have a much higher pressure drop than the Aprilaire. It may also have a tendency to collect dirt inside of it that can't be dislodged by washing it.

Those 1" electronic filters aren't new technology. They've been around for decades. We've always considered them a "poor mans electronic filter" because they cost about 1/3 of what a standard electronic air cleaner costs, but they're still no bargain even at that price.

Thanks midhvac, that's exactly what I needed to know! It's often hard for us non-HVAC types to know what to believe when a contractor who seems to be otherwise on the ball throws out something like the Dynamic filter, and claims it's better than the Aprilaire.

Makes me wonder if I need to keep looking for contractors, if this one can be that out to lunch on the filter issue...

This forum, and you pro's who contribute to it, are great!