+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Direct Vent Installation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Direct Vent Installation

I had a Heat & Glow 8000CF-Oak firplace installed today. I was looking at the install for the vent and noted that the fireplace vent was supported at only one location along a 12 foot horizontal run. That is the vent pipe goes vertical for about 10 feet and then makes a 90 degree turn and runs another 12 feet and then exits to sidewall of the house. On that 12 foot run, there is only one support. Is that OK?

Also, where sections of pipe join, is there any taping required or is the mechancial seal the normal method of making an acceptable joint.

Thanks in advance.

Post Likes
    The manual will say how often the horizontal section should be supported. I cannot recall the exact amount, but a 12ft run should probably have more than one support.

The joints do not need any tape or sealant. The manual does recommend 2 screws in each joint to ensure it cannot come apart.

Post Likes
    Thanks. I'll check the manual. As I remember there are no screws. I'll inquire with the installer and check the manual.

Post Likes
    I checked, there are no screws. I found a copy of the installation manual (I have not been given a hardcopy yet). Here is what it says.

It is acceptable to use screws no longer than 1/2 in. (13mm) to hold outer pipe sections together. If predrilling holes, DO NOT penetrate inner pipe.

So, it's not required but not prohibitied either.

As for the support

Horizontal sections must be supported every 5 feet (1.52 m).

So, the current support structure does not meet vendor requirements. So, I'll have to inform the installer.

Post Likes

Cool

Don't forget to support all elbows and offsets. At ten foot vertical rise, does it pass through a floor or ceiling? Per the IRC, it should be fireblocked every 10 ft. vertical, which means a listed firestop and fireblocking per R602.8

Post Likes
    It does pass thorugh a floor and then a wall. I have not checked for a fire block although the bill/estimate incldued two fire blocks.

Is there some way to see them for sure?

The vertical run is about 10 feet max.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in