Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Where do I put thermostats? 3 story house -- 2 furnaces.

I am building a new house which is a total of 3 stories -- upstairs bedroom areas, main living area, and a daylight basement.

My house plan calls for 2 furnaces, and I am planning on installing one AC unit.

I'm wondering about the best way to zone the furnaces. Should I set one up to run the top two floors with the AC, and the bottom floor on it's own furnace? Or runt the bottom two floors off of the same furnace?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Let the furnace in the basement do the basement and first floor, and the other the second floor only, and get 2 a/c's.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

That's kind of what I was thinking, but I was wondering if there would be enough airflow between the bottom two floors to adequately control the temperature in the basement -- it's only one staircase going into the daylight basement (which really isn't underground.)

I'm most interested in ensuring the top floor (bedrooms) has the proper temperature -- and that would give me a thermostate upstairs to do that.

Worst case in this scenario, is the basement could be a little chilly, but I guess then I just adjust the vents a little to try and compensate.

You can also zone the basement, first floor unit, so each floor has its own stat, that will give you complete temp control for each floor.
    Contractor locator map

Can I do that with a normal furnace, or do I need a furnace that will run multiple zones in order to do a zone for each floor? Because a zone for each floor would be ideal.

I'm working with a semi-custom builder, so I'm not sure what my options are on the furnace.

Basement: In floor radiant heat. Minimal A/C
    1st Floor: Forced Air W/ Hot Water Coil. (Control Boiler Temp)
    2nd Floor: Forced Air W/ Hot Water Coil. (Control Boiler Temp)
    In floor radiant is the best heat going.

2 A/C units 1 boiler with proper control.

Yes, you can use a regular furnace.

I would use 2 units like i said above, a little redundency is nice, if 1 goes down, you still have the other, and don't need to call, or wait for someone to come out at midnight.

radiant infloor heat is great, but has a larger price tag.

The hot air zoning, is a smaller upfront cost.

Contractor locator map

The house is just about 4700 sq ft., so I think I need to use both furnaces (they are gas furnaces), but If I can break it out into three zones with three thermostats (1 for each floor) that would be perfect.

I live in Portland, OR so we typically don't need a lot of air conditioning. Right now, the plan is to put in 1 ac unit for the top floor(s) only, because I don't think I'll need one for the bottom floor. I'm having it pre-wired for a second AC unit, however, just in case I want to drop one in later.

I'm going to check with my builder on this option, but if anybody has any other feedback, I'd love to hear it!

Have a boiler installed. Add hot water coils to the A/C duct work. Now you have control over 1st and 2nd floors, Heating and cooling. I would still have in floor radiant heat in the basement. Coldest point of the building

Arrow Zone It !

Watch this excellent video on zoning http://www.zonexsystems.com/video/ca_econo4.wmv

I have been zoning my customers homes for as long as I can rememebr. A simple 4 zone system will provide you with comfort you cannot get with a single thermostat !

AllTemp Heating & Cooling

RECOMMEND LOOKING INTO CARRIER/BRYANT ZONE CONTROLS WITH VARIBLESPEED GAS FURNACES. tHAT WILL GIVE YOU OPTIMUM AIR FLOW WITH GREAT HUMIDITY CONTROL FOR YOUR RAIN SEASON. ZONE PERFECT FROM CARRIER/BRYANT WILL GIVE YOU CONTROL AT ONE LOCATION{I.E. MASTER BEDROOM} AND SENSORS TO CONTROL TEMPS AND ZONE DAMPERS WITH ONE UNIT FOR UP TO EIGHT ZONES. GOOD LUCK, AND FIND A GREAT HVAC CONTRACTOR, BECAUSE ITS HARD TO FIX SCREW UPS AFTER THE SHEETROCK GOES UP.

yOU CAN FIND A LOCAL BRYANT DEALER AT http://www.bryant.com and click on find dealer link.

Carrier Controls...

Originally posted by extexbennett
    RECOMMEND LOOKING INTO CARRIER/BRYANT ZONE CONTROLS WITH VARIBLESPEED GAS FURNACES. tHAT WILL GIVE YOU OPTIMUM AIR FLOW WITH GREAT HUMIDITY CONTROL FOR YOUR RAIN SEASON. ZONE PERFECT FROM CARRIER/BRYANT WILL GIVE YOU CONTROL AT ONE LOCATION{I.E. MASTER BEDROOM} AND SENSORS TO CONTROL TEMPS AND ZONE DAMPERS WITH ONE UNIT FOR UP TO EIGHT ZONES. GOOD LUCK, AND FIND A GREAT HVAC CONTRACTOR, BECAUSE ITS HARD TO FIX SCREW UPS AFTER THE SHEETROCK GOES UP.
    I hate Carrier's system! Why...

So you've got this elagant home with up to eight zones and you have guest over and they would like to lower or raise the temp in the guest bedroom...

They can't the control is in the Master Bedroom and it's 2:30 AM so they say screw it !

Hello.... Thats why they suck! If they would come out with independent controls at each zone that would be great!

PS
    extexbennett lose the CAPS!
    AllTemp Heating & Cooling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast