Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I bought mine new. I have two plus a cast skillet. My folks had one that was all rusted and I thought about cleaning it up but it was a cheap brand and the lid did not set on and seal properly so I did not waste my time.

That is an interesting link. I doubt the 3-up 3-down rule would apply to that one for temperature control.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

New dutch oven cook here.

I bought a 10" CI one at Cabela's.

It says preseasoned. Do I need to seson it at all or just start cooking?

If it's not the pre-seasoned one, then yes you do.
    I use my propane outdoor grill, but you can use your indoor oven.
    Here's a link that explains it pretty well.
    If you take the time to season it, you'll find it one of your favorite ways to cook and bake outdoors.
    Good luck, and enjoy.

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-seasoning.shtml

My experience is that a pre-seasoned DO is fragile. I would recommend seasoning it anyway, and avoiding high acidic dishes for a while. If you find some dishes sticking a trick is to boil water and use a soft bristle brush to remove stuck on food. As a new cooker you may have the tendency ( I know I did) to use too much heat, which results in food sticking. Remember the three up three down rule. Take the DIA of your oven, put 3 coals more than the dia. on the top, and 3 less on the bottom. That will result in a temperature of approx. 350 degrees.

I got a great cobbler recipe if anyone is interested. Note it does NOT use store bought cake mix, not much more difficult, and is way better than using a cake mix.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    My experience is that a pre-seasoned DO is fragile. I would recommend seasoning it anyway, and avoiding high acidic dishes for a while. If you find some dishes sticking a trick is to boil water and use a soft bristle brush to remove stuck on food. As a new cooker you may have the tendency ( I know I did) to use too much heat, which results in food sticking. Remember the three up three down rule. Take the DIA of your oven, put 3 coals more than the dia. on the top, and 3 less on the bottom. That will result in a temperature of approx. 350 degrees.

I got a great cobbler recipe if anyone is interested. Note it does NOT use store bought cake mix, not much more difficult, and is way better than using a cake mix.
    Thanks guys.

If I understand you right Gib's, if I have a 10" oven I should put 13 coals on top and 7 underneath? Are you talking charcoal? Or just burned wood coals?

This thread makes me miss my days in the boy scouts and all the DO cooking we did. Specifically the cobbler. Mmmmmmm

We also did a duck and beans kind of dish...looks like its time to invest in a. DO for myself

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Thanks guys.

If I understand you right Gib's, if I have a 10" oven I should put 13 coals on top and 7 underneath? Are you talking charcoal? Or just burned wood coals?
    Yes, charcoal briquettes. That will give you an oven temperature of 350 degrees F. Each coal will add or subtract approx. 25 degrees from there.

Quote Originally Posted by jason3kgt View Post
    This thread makes me miss my days in the boy scouts and all the DO cooking we did. Specifically the cobbler. Mmmmmmm

We also did a duck and beans kind of dish...looks like its time to invest in a. DO for myself
    I have the best cobbler recipe ever. I'm traveling this week but will try and remember to post when I get home.

I have the best cobbler recipe ever. I'm traveling this week but will try and remember to post when I get home.
    I would love to get that recipe!

This is world class in my humble opinion.

Gib's Son Cobbler

Ingrediants

Two cubes of real butter (1 cup)
    2 cups flour
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    4tsp baking powder
    1/2tsp salt
    1-1/2 cups milk
    Cinnamon to taste
    Brown sugar to desire
    4 cups of fresh peaches (sliced into wedges)

Directions

Place sliced peaches in bowl and add sugar, mix well and set aside.

Melt butter in 12” dutch oven and let cool

In a separate bowl add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and milk and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture evenly over melted butter in dutch oven.

Pour peach mixture evenly over dough mixture in dutch oven.

Cook for 1 hour at 375 degrees. (16 coals on top, 9 on the bottom)

Five minutes before done, remove lid and sprinkle top with brown sugar as desired. Replace lid and continue cooking until done.

This recipe works with any type of fruit.
    (If using canned peaches or other fruit drain the canned juices off first. Note I do not recommend canned fruit as the syrup skews the natural taste IMO)

I can hardly wait until the peaches come to season this year….this recipe will be great with the new ice cream machine the wife got for me Christmas last year. Home made cobbler and home made ice cream..yuuummmy!

This is world class in my humble opinion.

Gib's Son Cobbler

Ingrediants

Two cubes of real butter (1 cup)
    2 cups flour
    1-1/2 cups sugar
    4tsp baking powder
    1/2tsp salt
    1-1/2 cups milk
    Cinnamon to taste
    Brown sugar to desire
    4 cups of fresh peaches (sliced into wedges)

Directions

Place sliced peaches in bowl and add sugar, mix well and set aside.

Melt butter in 12” dutch oven and let cool

In a separate bowl add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and milk and mix thoroughly. Pour mixture evenly over melted butter in dutch oven.

Pour peach mixture evenly over dough mixture in dutch oven.

Cook for 1 hour at 375 degrees. (16 coals on top, 9 on the bottom)

Five minutes before done, remove lid and sprinkle top with brown sugar as desired. Replace lid and continue cooking until done.

This recipe works with any type of fruit.
    (If using canned peaches or other fruit drain the canned juices off first. Note I do not recommend canned fruit as the syrup skews the natural taste IMO)

I can hardly wait until the peaches come to season this year….this recipe will be great with the new ice cream machine the wife got for me Christmas last year. Home made cobbler and home made ice cream..yuuummmy!
    Thanks!

Can't wait to try it out. Its still single digit lows and 30 for highs here with a snow cover so I won't be doing outdoor cooking for a little while yet.

Oops....error in my coals....for a 12" DO @ 375 degrees it would be 7-8 on bottom...18-19 on top. Good thing I was looking at doing some DO rolls with dinner tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Thanks!

Can't wait to try it out. Its still single digit lows and 30 for highs here with a snow cover so I won't be doing outdoor cooking for a little while yet.
    I just got back from Connecticut. Snowing in the spring.

Let me know how it turns out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12