+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Ducth Overn Cookers out there?

Post Likes

Any Ducth Overn Cookers out there?

I lurk around here every now and then but have never seen anything for us DO cookers.
    Politicians need to be changed like diapers, and for the same reason.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    The only thing I have made in mine is navy bean soup. Next will be tortilla soup or swiss steak. I do want to start using it more...

Post Likes
    Best way to cook in my opinion.
    Been a Scout leader since I can remember.
    You can turn the lid upside down for cooking eggs, or pancakes.
    The key to baking is to remember the majority of the coals go ON the lid.
    ( 1/3 of the coals on the bottom, 2/3 on the lid )
    One Kingsford coal will last about 20 mins. and will raise the temp about 25 deg.
    The best oven you'll ever use.
    If you need some recipes or other hints, pm me.

Post Likes
    The only experiance I've had with one is when I went camping with my son's boy scout troup.

The troup leader knew his stuff and he made a cherry pie one evening in a Dutch oven.

I wasn't holding out much hope of the pie turning out, but it was absolutely the best.

Post Likes
    I have a nice DO. Everytime I try to use it I end up burning stuff. Or half the food comes out undercooked and the other stuff is burnt. There must be a knack to it.

There are DO contests all over the country just like BBQ competitions.

Post Likes
    Yes sir. It's a joy to use a DO. I have a 14, as in diameter. It's a lot of fun, and it's just about time to start using it lots-- Spring!
    It's great to be alive and pumping oxygen!

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Earning the rank of Eagle Scout and working on camp staff ,we mastered DO cooking and feasted like royalty. Peach cobbler is the best. I'll have to see if I can find the rule of # of briquettes to reach desired temps. You must season the DO for best results. A thread exists on here with instructions.
    Good Cooking
    In GOD We Trust

Post Likes
    The key to Dutch oven cooking/baking is to spend the time and 'season' your oven. ( like when I start a new wort for brewing, this is best done when your wife is at work! )
    Also, stay with cast iron ovens made by one of the top companies.
    Never use any soap to clean cast iron skillets or ovens. The soap will come back out when the oven/skillet is heated.
    To plug the Scouts, do a search of some of their sites for hints and help.
    A nice feeling when your biscuits 'float' out of your oven...

Post Likes
    No other way to cook! I have done it all in a dutch oven. Biscuits, cakes, pies, stews, soups, oh and cobblers. I use a hanging hook system to control heat. The keys keep ovens cured, watch and regulate that heat it is different every time. Camp fire cafe is a great sight for recipes and tips there cook book is great. I love this stuff and everyone else does too!!

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    The only experiance I've had with one is when I went camping with my son's boy scout troup.

The troup leader knew his stuff and he made a cherry pie one evening in a Dutch oven.

I wasn't holding out much hope of the pie turning out, but it was absolutely the best.
    Same here, line the pot with foil and no mess.

Post Likes
    Ok then...lets share some of our favorite recopies, or make requests, and provide some tips and tricks.

Here is one my favorites.

Sausage Cheese Onion Loaf

½ Tbs. yeast (Like SAF Instant)
    ½ cup warm water (100-110F) Inportant; too hot kills the yeast, too cold slows rising
    ¼ cup sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 Tbs. vegetable oil
    1 egg, lightly beaten (Hint: take egg out ahead of time and let warm to room temp.)
    2-3 cups of flower
    8 oz. Jimmy Dean Pork Sausage (I use more)
    8 oz. extra sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (I use more)
    1 small red onion, finely chopped.

Mix dry ingredients. Add water, oil and beaten egg. Add a cup of flour, and then slowly add until dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. Sprinkle flour on board and knead until dough is well formed. Cover in an oiled bowl until doubled. (Hint…make sure area is warm, free of drafts and vibration) While dough is rising mix onions and cheese together and set aside. Brown the sausage and drain well. Crumble the sausage fine and add onion-cheese mixture. Roll the dough into rectangle ¼ inch thick, 10 inches wide. Spread the sausage, onion-cheese mixture to within one inch of the edges. Roll up from the long side and place into a 12 inch D.O.

Let proof again until doubled in size. Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes. (7-8 charcoal coals on bottom, 16-18 on top) When you thump the top and it sounds hollow, remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool.

Slice and serve with butter or jam or even pork gravy.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by benncool View Post
    I have a nice DO. Everytime I try to use it I end up burning stuff. Or half the food comes out undercooked and the other stuff is burnt. There must be a knack to it.

There are DO contests all over the country just like BBQ competitions.
    Did you properly season your DO? With a new DO stay away from sauces that are tomato based until you get a good seasoning built up. The acid eats away at the coating.

Also, every 10-15 minutes rotate the DO 1/4 turn. I rotate the DO one way and the lid in the opposite direction.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Gib's Son,
    Not sure if this has happened to you, but I have acquired a lot of my ovens from people who did not season them or left them to rust.
    Have enough sizes to feed a small army and still can't pass one up.

I plan on doing some section hikes of the AT this summer and fall, so I won't be able to take an oven.

Found this one, and thought I'd give it a try.

http://www.backpackerspantry.com/Inv...t&subcategory=

At 9.5 oz, shouldn't put me too far over on my base weight.
    Sometimes you just gotta bake...

Post Likes
    I bought mine new. I have two plus a cast skillet. My folks had one that was all rusted and I thought about cleaning it up but it was a cheap brand and the lid did not set on and seal properly so I did not waste my time.

That is an interesting link. I doubt the 3-up 3-down rule would apply to that one for temperature control.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    New dutch oven cook here.

I bought a 10" CI one at Cabela's.

It says preseasoned. Do I need to seson it at all or just start cooking?

Post Likes
    If it's not the pre-seasoned one, then yes you do.
    I use my propane outdoor grill, but you can use your indoor oven.
    Here's a link that explains it pretty well.
    If you take the time to season it, you'll find it one of your favorite ways to cook and bake outdoors.
    Good luck, and enjoy.

http://www.dutchovendude.com/dutch-oven-seasoning.shtml

Post Likes
    My experience is that a pre-seasoned DO is fragile. I would recommend seasoning it anyway, and avoiding high acidic dishes for a while. If you find some dishes sticking a trick is to boil water and use a soft bristle brush to remove stuck on food. As a new cooker you may have the tendency ( I know I did) to use too much heat, which results in food sticking. Remember the three up three down rule. Take the DIA of your oven, put 3 coals more than the dia. on the top, and 3 less on the bottom. That will result in a temperature of approx. 350 degrees.

I got a great cobbler recipe if anyone is interested. Note it does NOT use store bought cake mix, not much more difficult, and is way better than using a cake mix.
    Mark Twain

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Gib's Son View Post
    My experience is that a pre-seasoned DO is fragile. I would recommend seasoning it anyway, and avoiding high acidic dishes for a while. If you find some dishes sticking a trick is to boil water and use a soft bristle brush to remove stuck on food. As a new cooker you may have the tendency ( I know I did) to use too much heat, which results in food sticking. Remember the three up three down rule. Take the DIA of your oven, put 3 coals more than the dia. on the top, and 3 less on the bottom. That will result in a temperature of approx. 350 degrees.

I got a great cobbler recipe if anyone is interested. Note it does NOT use store bought cake mix, not much more difficult, and is way better than using a cake mix.
    Thanks guys.

If I understand you right Gib's, if I have a 10" oven I should put 13 coals on top and 7 underneath? Are you talking charcoal? Or just burned wood coals?

Post Likes
    This thread makes me miss my days in the boy scouts and all the DO cooking we did. Specifically the cobbler. Mmmmmmm

We also did a duck and beans kind of dish...looks like its time to invest in a. DO for myself

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    Thanks guys.

If I understand you right Gib's, if I have a 10" oven I should put 13 coals on top and 7 underneath? Are you talking charcoal? Or just burned wood coals?
    Yes, charcoal briquettes. That will give you an oven temperature of 350 degrees F. Each coal will add or subtract approx. 25 degrees from there.
    Mark Twain

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in