Copeland Discus compressor

I have a water chiller with 3 Copeland Discus compressors. The number 1 compressor was off so I reset oil pressure switch and added 3 lbs of R-22 refridgerant. On start up I saw bubbles in the oil sight glass. During these events the valve head became very hot. While checking the unit further I found a small pin hole leak in the copper tubing. I serviced the unit, including changing the oil. I then restarted the unit and it ran fine, with no bubbles in the oil. 3 days later I checked this unit and again observed bubbles in the oil and the value head is extremely hot and low on Freon. What do you think the problem may be? I think Freon may be leaking through the pistons and the value head may need to be rebuilt. Please tell me you thoughts. Thank you for your help.

Thank you

tx overfeeding? liquid entering crankcase? you will need to post way more info to get real help. pressures, temps, as much as you can. the better the info the better help you will get. you may also get accused of not even knowing how to spell refrigerant, let alone service it. lose da dee. take some head temps too, it may be ok, or not. it is discharge gas going through there right?

hi Joe,
    welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 pounds refrigerant on a chiller with 3 semis is not enough to make any difference at any condition?

I assume they are 35 ton compressors or so>???

So your chiller would hold 200 pounds or so, so 3 lbs?????????????????????

the oil sight glass should be 1/4 full or even 1/2 full of oil, adding refrigerant
    would only make more "bubbbles" aka liquid floodback

please post superheat, subcooling, amp draw, discharge superheat and especially hot gas line temp 6" from compressor, head temperatures of all 3 heads bottom and top, crank case temperatures and net oil pressure would be a good start!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Joe 1 View Post
    I have a water chiller with 3 Copeland Discus compressors. The number 1 compressor was off so I reset oil pressure switch and added 3 lbs of R-22 refridgerant. On start up I saw bubbles in the oil sight glass. During these events the valve head became very hot. While checking the unit further I found a small pin hole leak in the copper tubing. I serviced the unit, including changing the oil. I then restarted the unit and it ran fine, with no bubbles in the oil. 3 days later I checked this unit and again observed bubbles in the oil and the value head is extremely hot and low on Freon. What do you think the problem may be? I think Freon may be leaking through the pistons and the value head may need to be rebuilt. Please tell me you thoughts. Thank you for your help.

then KFRIDGE should change to KFRIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    tx overfeeding? liquid entering crankcase? you will need to post way more info to get real help. pressures, temps, as much as you can. the better the info the better help you will get. you may also get accused of not even knowing how to spell refrigerant, let alone service it. lose da dee. take some head temps too, it may be ok, or not. it is discharge gas going through there right?