Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Not Geo?

Quote Originally Posted by JakRabbit View Post
    Open loops should not be called Geo Thermal as much water as they waste...
    A heat pump by definition is simply moving heat from one place to another.
    An open loop is moving heat from ground water into a house. there is no combustion and no exhaust. Geothermal means ground heated and for 20 years i've heated and cooled my house with water from a well. What could be more earth friendly? my Carbon footprint is not nearly as big as my neighbor buring fuel oil everyday

Did you run the drilling cost against closed loop cost? Do they have a coupronickel (sp?) heat exchanger?
    Which makes more sense to you?
    CONSERVATION - turning your thermostat back and being uncomfortable. Maybe saving 5-10%
    ENERGY EFFICIENCY - leaving your thermostat where everyone is comfortable. Saving 30-70%

DO THE NUMBERS! Step on a HOMESCALE.
    What is comfort? Well, it AIN'T just TEMPERATURE!

Energy Obese? An audit is the next step - go to BPI.org, or RESNET, and find an auditor near you.

Wow is all I gota say I would not let that installer work on my toilet because I might not have water to flush when I really need it ok seriously, do you have a well and pump for domestic water if so your pump is undersized in flow or you are not regulating flow to your heatpump like Bill Chew says circuit setters in and out of the unit is required and someone who knows to set them . And also a closed loop system is like a no brainer whats the use of pumping cold water into a well for heat? Your electric bill probably equates in btus to a inefficient furnace . Crunch your numbers and return time for investment and convince your friend for a upgrade .

More than likely the well isnt big enough to supply what is needed to the geo. You can really go two ways with it, bigger well pump, or closed loop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12