Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Ipad vs. Tablet vs. Netbook

Hey guys, looking to upgrade from my smart phone (screen is just a little too small). Would like to use it for looking up product info (pdf's & web pages), email the office and browse the web. Also would like to be able to run basic office type programs (excell and word mostly). Also it would be nice to have a wireless printer for printing quotes etc. Looking for some real world reviews.(oh and being able to post on h-talk would be great)

For what you are asking, an Ipad and Netbook are out. Ipads will not run office type programs, Netbook is a little more sturdier, but still not meant to run office apps. A "tablet" PC refers to the ability to flip and twist the screen, just that feature brings up the price. Best laptop, as far as reliabilty and customer satisfaction is a Toshiba. Now ASUS Eee PC are sweet, but not as highly rated as the toshiba.

I have a netbook (Dell Inspiron mini), and it works for me for the stuff I use it for.

Not much HVAC stuff, but wireless is pretty good and it boots up pretty fast.

I use Quickbooks on it all the time, and works well, but sometimes the screen is almost too small to expand a page in QB and you just get the top of a button to click to the next page. Other then that, its ok. I would personally look at any brand, they are all similar. I just liked the fill of this one.

jt

If you're going to be using it for work, in the truck, on the roof, etc. then seriously consider a Panasonic Toughbook.

I've had a CF-29H3 for a year or so now. In an off-lease, factory refurbished deal from Tiger Direct it only cost about $360. I'm very pleased with it.

Here's a link to a video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hetxcun5B1E

Quote Originally Posted by ID10T View Post
    For what you are asking, an Ipad and Netbook are out. Ipads will not run office type programs, .
    Yes they will.
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    If you're going to be using it for work, in the truck, on the roof, etc. then seriously consider a Panasonic Toughbook.

I've had a CF-29H3 for a year or so now. In an off-lease, factory refurbished deal from Tiger Direct it only cost about $360. I'm very pleased with it.

Nice deal on the Toughbook. Here in Arizona the laptops get really hot sitting in the truck. I've heard the Toughbook holds up in this heat.

I'm considering getting one. Found some on ebay for a good price but will check Tiger Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post

That looks really promising. I like that built-in case - looks tough. But I'm always worried about why they have a lot of refurbished computers of the same model.

Quote Originally Posted by midhvac View Post
    That looks really promising. I like that built-in case - looks tough. But I'm always worried about why they have a lot of refurbished computers of the same model.
    I wouldn't worry about that. I hear they are tough as nails.

I work for a major corporation and we are getting them soon. Right now we have Go Books.

I just looked on Tiger Direct, and they were new at $4k-ish.

Do they just come and go there refurb-ed?

jt

Quote Originally Posted by jthomley View Post

jt
    Lots of them on ebay!! Good prices!!

Quote Originally Posted by jthomley View Post

jt
    I just looked and there is one, first one on the top, at the $329 price.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Will have to look into the tough book. I have been researching for a device to put all my manuals on. The tough book answers the issue I have had with the e readers. Can it withstand roofs and boiler rooms and bouncing around in a service van.

I picked up an iPad last night along with a nice Otter Box to keep it in.

There are tons of hvac apps out there that look good.

This is going to be one of the best tools I ever purchased.
    I need a new signature.....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast