Got a call from owner,AC isn't keeping up. After the load cal. is done,what about the tanning beds? 8 of them in a 900 square foot area. You could grow tropical plants in the place. 3 ton unit in there now,but if I have to go bigger supply will have to be changed over to a bigger size. All in a very small attic space,of course nothing is insulated and duct is almost touching the roof. I'm going to need back care if I do this job.

Oilman52,

Probably determing the wattage of the tanning beds will be a good place to start.

With 8 beds in 900 sqft area, I can see diversity being an issue.

Good luck.

I done a couple over the years..after the first one I found
    out it require 1 ton of cooling for every bed.

Plus the load on the building.

That is what I mean about diversity being an issue. So, when 8 beds are running there is about a 7 ton increase over just one bed running.

That will require some tricky capacity control.

How is that done?

There really not much need for control other then the tstat.

You will never go into a tanning salon where all beds or not running full tilt,thats been my experience.
    Also most people who open up a tanning salon do it as a after thought,and they go rent a building where the electric or the building stucture will only support two five
    ton split system anyway.

So one you're limited in your appoach as fars as a great design is concern,and two..just giving them the info that they will need that much capacity,usually send them into sticker shock,where most will say forget it.

Programable stat is all you need here in most cases.After its get above eighty degree outside,they're running non stop
    any way.

Two 5 ton splits. Simpleman that is exactly what this guy did. Rented out a dumpy building,actually 1/2 of it the other 1/2 is a doctors office. The small attic space is filled with old stuff,you can hardly walk up there. They put up a wall and one of the salons returns is in the doctors office. Made 8 rooms and a lobby for salon,each room has a supply. Air handler up in the attic,natural gas heat with coil. The way your saying I might as well rip everything out and start new. I can't see 2 systems up there. When you run your duct just split conditioned area in 1/2?

Yes...that all we do. Remember you will be working with a very tight budget,not to mention the single phase panel box.

Why don't people just lay out in the sun during the times that a/c is required ?

Good thing is that they won't need 120,000 btu's of heating !

Just a thought here, but in an area as small as 900 square feet, would it make sense to install an exhaust fan with fresh air makeup and condition the air that is brought in instead of trying to mechanically remove the heat that is being generated by the beds? I'm not too sure how many btu's those things produce.
    There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action....Mark Twain

Would a ductless mini split work in this application. Seems to me that would take care of capacity control and if there is a tight budget the equipment could be phased in over time.
    Saddle Up!