Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: R-22 or Puron

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    I think the original poster is doing the right thing by getting opinions other than his buddies.Trust but verify,no reason not to.

R-22 all the way

I say stick with R-22 system.. If it is insatll right it should run 15 years without a problem..

Preasures are a little to high with the 401..

regards,
    kelvin

Who uses pressures?

Maybe I'll invent gauges without pressures on them, just saturation temps. Makes you want to smak the first guy that made refrigeration gauges. It would be the best thing going and I would darn near single handedly fix 90% of the problems with systems. Training would be effective, it so hard now to tell guys to quit worrying about pressures when they are the bold numbers on the gauge.

Maybe I could get rich, retire to Florida, build a house and have Dash install the system, post pictures on here every step of the way and call him every day with my current conditions expecting him to drop everything and come look at it.

BTW, this is my official unofficial poor man's patent... Date, and time noted.

Originally posted by docholiday
    Who uses pressures?

Maybe I'll invent gauges without pressures on them, just saturation temps.
    I'd like to buy 30 sets of each refrigerant type.

Where do I send the money?

You just qualified to be my 30/70 partner.

You buy the gauges, I'll get the white out and the sharpie markers..

I started this thread with good intentions since I really am considering either one of the pieces of equipment. I knew that I would get the debate both pro and con on the 410 vs R-22 issue. What amazed me was that with the R-22 system supposedly rated higher in SEER than the 410 system, that seemed to be overlooked in those post who totally recommended against the 410 solution. I know that as an industry, we as home owners are on that cusp of going one way or another. As the last poster said, a good install and this one should last 15 years. Then I suppose will be looking at the replacement to 410 by then.

I'm amazed at the propaganda put out by the manufacturer's concerning R-22 in an effort to push their 410 systems. Outright scare tactics into making one believe that R-22 will be so expensive to work on just to disuade others from buying R-22 systems in favor of 410 systems. I'm sure a lot of it is based on speculation and the historical price increases of R-12, but that's all it is. The average consumer doesn't know.

But I digress. I did come here to trust and verify what my buddy said as opposed to be shocked and awed after the fact. I really appreciate everyone's input here and based on what I have read here, researched on the web, and with my buddy's guidance, will go with the R-22 system. It has a higher SEER rating, the AH is warranted for 5 years instead of 1, the outdoor units are both warranted for up to 10 years. The cost of the R-22 system is only 10% less, not significent when you're talking this kind of money.

Have you or your buddy priced any 22 system parts from utc lately? The corporation has many ways of miss direction.

What propaganda has any mfg advertised?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Originally posted by docholiday
    Who uses pressures?

Maybe I'll invent gauges without pressures on them, just saturation temps. Makes you want to smak the first guy that made refrigeration gauges. It would be the best thing going and I would darn near single handedly fix 90% of the problems with systems. Training would be effective, it so hard now to tell guys to quit worrying about pressures when they are the bold numbers on the gauge.

Maybe I could get rich, retire to Florida, build a house and have Dash install the system, post pictures on here every step of the way and call him every day with my current conditions expecting him to drop everything and come look at it.

Glad to take care of that for you,but we only have the Blue ones here.Slight extra charge to watch even more if you want to help.LOL!

[Edited by dash on 05-16-2005 at 03:56 PM]

Maybe I'll have to retire somewhere else then... Nah what the heck, I'll be rich. You will need to buy a few sets for your guys.

"But I digress. I did come here to trust and verify what my buddy said as opposed to be shocked and awed after the fact. I really appreciate everyone's input here and based on what I have read here, researched on the web, and with my buddy's guidance, will go with the R-22 system. It has a higher SEER rating, the AH is warranted for 5 years instead of 1, the outdoor units are both warranted for up to 10 years. The cost of the R-22 system is only 10% less, not significent when you're talking this kind of money." (Quote)

I can't understand why someone would want to purchase something they know is being phased out. R22 systems will be gone after 2010. And systems with SEER ratings from 12 to 16 are available in R22, or R410a. While the 19.5 systems are currently R22 only it won't be long till they also will be 410a. Heck, it won't be long till we see a true 20 SEER system. I know others will disagree with me on this, but if 410a wasn't a proven product we wouldn't still be using it. And while not trying to boast, I can take any 410a system and make it work as good if not better than any R22 system, providing that they were both installed properly.
    "If you can't fix it, don't break it."

Originally posted by duct dr

I can't understand why someone would want to purchase something they know is being phased out. R22 systems will be gone after 2010. And systems with SEER ratings from 12 to 16 are available in R22, or R410a. While the 19.5 systems are currently R22 only it won't be long till they also will be 410a. Heck, it won't be long till we see a true 20 SEER system. I know others will disagree with me on this, but if 410a wasn't a proven product we wouldn't still be using it. And while not trying to boast, I can take any 410a system and make it work as good if not better than any R22 system, providing that they were both installed properly.
    The reason I would go with an R22 system would be:

"What is the installer most comfortaable with?"

The industry is in a state of change, and a lot of good techs are not up to speed on all the ins and outs of 410a.
    This is not to say they are not going to learn, but its going to take time, and probably some of THEIR money.

Now you've got techs who can just listen to a system run and they will have a good idea whats wrong. That type of knowledge comes with experiance. So, I would opt for a tech who knows R22, and is comfortable with it over one who is just learning about it and how it behaves.

Yes, the techs who don't climb on board the R410a train are going to left behind, but its going to take time for that train to stop at every station.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast