So far, most gas fireplaces are designed to look like imitations of a wood burning fireplace or wood stove. Those imitations are getting pretty good, but perhaps the concept is obsolete.

After all, why should a decorative flame look like a hunk of smoldering wood? Flames could be designed to dance, to flare and otherwise be entertaining. Instead of being in a "fireplace", they could be framed like a picture that's hung on a wall.

My prediction: before too long, fireplace manufacturers will break away from the "fireplace" theme, and start hiring artists to design attractive and interesting flame effects to entertain and delight users.

Seattle Pioneer

Talking been to HPBA EXPO lately?

They have a fireplace that burns water, fire coming out of water fountains, fire out of glass rocks that look like ice, rings, hoops, sconces, a >10 row of flames and much more.

I was recently over a friend's house and noticed he had a fireplace going. He clicked on a remote and turned it off. What was amazing was the "fireplace" was nothing more than a video display. The unit even had a blower that blew out heat. The picture was extremely realistic and would fool most in thinking it was real.

Technology is great, but sometimes you still can beat the real thing.

seen one last night (on tv)that was in a glass tube about 3' high maybe 3 or 4" at the base and it swirled and danced

Talking Cyclone from Heat & Glo

dhvac: you probably saw a Cyclone. DSI ignition. Can come singley or in pairs at either end of a bar. Definitely more of a decorative appliance! They have put them in Dr's waiting rooms, living rooms, bedrooms, etc,.

On Call: they've also had 8 hr video loop tapes for apt. dweller and screen savers. I put a burning fire screen saver onto a bunch of computers at work and man, they were mad at me! Apparently, they felt they saw enough about fireplaces in one day without my antics...You can get them with an audio "crackle", too.

Re: Cyclone from Heat & Glo

Originally posted by hearthman
    dhvac: you probably saw a Cyclone. DSI ignition. Can come singley or in pairs at either end of a bar.
    Aren't they HSI (Hot Surface Ignition)?
    Someone put 2 of them in one of the Parade Homes around here in a bar, they look pretty nice once they get going.

Remember the single wall Williams wall furnace that had the glass front with a log.