Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

running a gas furnace with a portable generator

I have a new Luxaire 95% efficient gas furnace. Only in the case of a lengthy power out in the winter, I'd like to be able to run the furnace from a portable generator.

I've read in this forum that this is not recommended because those generators don't supply clean enough power to run the boards in those furnaces. Is there something I could use between the generator and the furnace that would alleviate the problem and protect the furnace?

thanks,
    Joe

Best thing to do is spend the extra $$$ to get a generator that provides clean power. The 'box in the middle' you reference is not cheap.

Do a search at H-talk, there are lots of threads about this.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Just remember most high efficient gas units need 100% ground. If you use a portable generator . You will increase higher chance of burning up a control board. If anything have a electrician come in and have you hook up for a generator hook up.

generator

most of the smaller generators... honda 2000i or something similar , are inverter powered. They claim theyre very clean power , even clean enough for computers ect. i dont think i'd have a problem powering my furnace, as always check spec's before purchase.

In 2005 we had a bad ice storm and lost power at my house for 3 days. I used a 6500 generator. I ran the furnace, fridge, a lamp and the TV for 3 days with no problems. I left the ground wire from the panel hooked up at my furnace to ensure it would work.

The statement below is my signature and just my overall feeling towards our industry and does not necessarily pertain to you nor this thread.

There really isn't a legitimate excuse for not doing the job correctly!

The key is ground. All too often, the generator is plopped down and fired up, 99% of the time, an earth ground is never made, 50% of the time polarized plugs either are not utilized or they are wire incorrectly. Consult an electrician who understands generators and have the proper wiring done in advance along with the proper safety protection devises installed. If you do everything properly, no problems.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Many portable generators do not produce a clean signature, meaning that the output voltage can fluctuate. This is bad Juju for electronics and motor windings.
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Thumbs up

I use a Honda 2000i to help charge and power my electric propulsion system on my sailboat. It can handle about 1600 watts continous. Very clean power use it also on board to power my laptop too with no problems. I'd trust the Honda but, be careful of other units they may not be so clean. BTW I also killed three birds with one stone using it at home recently in the off season.

1) Powered a heater in the house
    2) Used exhaust heat to help melt ice on the walkway
    3) Drained the fuel tank for the season

I would run the furnace on the board. If you end up having problems, you could always junk the board and go back to individual components, like the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by ID10T View Post
    I would run the furnace on the board. If you end up having problems, you could always junk the board and go back to individual components, like the old days.
    Huh?
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

As others have pointed out in other threads, the most important thing is to be electrically correct with any emergency power unit. Meaning that you will never allow any emergency generator power to go back toward your utility company line, unless you enjoy being sued...

Personally have never come across a generator that couldn't power up a furnace in an emergency, but have come across several "village idiots" who didn't wire things correctly...

Very Very Good point about having the proper swich hookup to use a generator for you heating system. Best to have an electrican do the switch setup. Otherwise you might injure or kill a lineman. Or the very least kill your furnace and/or generator. Plus your insurance company will not be amused.

Quote Originally Posted by joef1 View Post
    I have a new Luxaire 95% efficient gas furnace. Only in the case of a lengthy power out in the winter, I'd like to be able to run the furnace from a portable generator.

I've read in this forum that this is not recommended because those generators don't supply clean enough power to run the boards in those furnaces. Is there something I could use between the generator and the furnace that would alleviate the problem and protect the furnace?

thanks,
    Joe
    applied to him, my bad!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast