HVAC System Requirements

I am not sure if this question has a simple answer, but I am looking for some advice. I am planning on making a lease offer on a commercial building, and I am going to ask the owner to install a HVAC system to service the space which will be used as a retail showroom.

The space is 5000sqft, here is an image of the current inside:

I will be covering the cost of the interior build out, the owner has offered to cover a new HVAC system and building upgrades.

I am planning to leave the ceiling open.

Does anyone have some advice for what I should be asking for or how I should approach this, from a HVAC point of view?

The location is in San Jose, California.

You will need to hire a mechanical engineer to do a heat load calculation on your building. Since there will be no drop ceiling your build. will be figured as conditioned space. Lights, solar heat gain, people count, product along with square footage will have to be figured in.

Quote Originally Posted by PortaChill View Post
    You will need to hire a mechanical engineer to do a heat load calculation on your building. Since there will be no drop ceiling your build. will be figured as conditioned space. Lights, solar heat gain, people count, product along with square footage will have to be figured in.
    In addition to a mechanical engineer, you may need the services of a structural engineer and electrical engineer as well. There are many hvac contractors which do design build work . We happen to be one of them, but we have at our services all of the above engineering resources.It is essential that a load calc is performed, and it is a requirement by the State of California Energy Commission (Title 24) There are ventilation calcs needed, etc. You will not be able to pull a permit without them

You could heat the space down and dirty with suspended unit heaters, or go with spiral sheet metal ducts and several heatpumps if ac is needed( $). Either way, you'll need to provide approx .15 cfm per sq/ft of outside air and the provisions to do so. If those offices pictured are staying, handle them independently.

Quote Originally Posted by acwizard View Post
    It is essential that a load calc is performed, and it is a requirement by the State of California Energy Commission (Title 24) There are ventilation calcs needed, etc. You will not be able to pull a permit without them
    It should be that way in every state

Quote Originally Posted by acwizard View Post
    In addition to a mechanical engineer, you may need the services of a structural engineer and electrical engineer as well. There are many hvac contractors which do design build work . We happen to be one of them, but we have at our services all of the above engineering resources.It is essential that a load calc is performed, and it is a requirement by the State of California Energy Commission (Title 24) There are ventilation calcs needed, etc. You will not be able to pull a permit without them
    Okay, when we discuss our HVAC needs I will make sure to state these requirements. I would assume that if they use a reputable HVAC company, then these services would be covered... but I will make sure before any work is started.