Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Originally posted by cem-bsee
    every time one installs a fastener or connector, it is stressed, perhaps even gaulded. because of this, it is quite difficult to predict or measure just how well a remade connection was done.

the connectors on flex tubing are not as heavy as with rigid pipe, so are susceptable to less abuse.

I have reused many flex pipes for a cooking range and for a gas fired clothes dryer -- several times, but then, I had no extra liability.
    As a contractor, if you violate a device manufacturer's instructions, you void any listing by an agency like UL, and you will have no defense in a law suit, and no insurance coverage --

Look, I'm a lawyer. I'm not going to tell people here they should or should not replace every valve, fitting and line all the way to the black pipe every time they replace a water heater or furnace. I know it isn't done. Maybe that's the best practice and I leave that to professional installers. But putting a warning on manufacturer's packaging or manuals doesn't mean "you will have no defense in a law suit" if you don't follow. The average lawn mower manual has 50-100 warnings and you can't mow your lawn without violating at least a dozen of them.

In South Florida all we use is copper tubing... Black iron into the house or galvanized... Copper from the shut off's to the appliance... Has worked in several thousand homes for over many many years no explosions...... So what was the problem with copper again? Ohhh also all brass fittings to gas valve etc....installed with theflon for over 30 years no explosions....so what was the problem with teflon????

Site whatever code you want....it works.....

Many codes in other areas overkill the code usually due to the fact there was some anal homeowner that blew him self up from operating the furnace with 20 gallons of gas nearby and they sued the contractor or the city for using copper when it was really the homeowners fault... So therefore to be politically correct... mandatory code changes to satisfy the general public....

Kind of like the Osha cowboy ...Or like building a 10 square foot dog house out of 6x10's and 3/4 sheathing....

Give me a break Just because it's code in your area, doesn't mean it's the only safe way to do it....

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123