+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to control a Carrier Gemini via Lon Card

Post Likes

How to control a Carrier Gemini via Lon Card

The local factory rep has been out to start up this condenser which is about 30Tons and has three compressors.
    It has a LON card installed and we pulled in a bunch of points but can't find any documentation on how to control it. I have a command point for each compressor but don't know if it is as simple as just staging on another compressor as we need more cooling.
    We installed a couple of temperature sensors and wired them into the CU but the user manual does not touch on control via the LON card and I have not been able to find a Carrier Forum.

Post Likes
    Your going to get a bunch of generic points once it is configured. Last one I did the Carrier rep reconfigured and renamed the points. If it has been configured then try cycling power to the chiller. The other three were really generic on the names. You might do a search in this forum but the lonmark website has the carrier chiller profile.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    My 5 yr old son "Dad, Siri is not very smart when there's no internet."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crab master View Post
    Your going to get a bunch of generic points once it is configured. Last one I did the Carrier rep reconfigured and renamed the points. If it has been configured then try cycling power to the chiller. The other three were really generic on the names. You might do a search in this forum but the lonmark website has the carrier chiller profile.
    Do you know under what section it is? I could only find out general info about Lonmark and manufacturer MID's and spec. Nothing substantial about any profiles. We pulled in the points, just can't determine which ones to use.

Post Likes
    Welcome to Carrier.
    nvoTemp1, nvoTemp2, nvoDI1, etc.
    Basically I was told whatever lon card carrier typically provides is a generic lon card, like once I went to control a chiller that thought it was a RTU, so the Carrier guy had to reload the profile.
    I would call the provider of the unit/local Carrier dealer and ask them for the profile. I might be able to look something up later today/tonight, but hopefully someone else can chime in as I couldn't find it on the Lonmark website, I swear that's where I got it before.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform

Post Likes
    So this is a split system with the Comfortlink control platform correct? You installed a SAT and a RAT sensor in the air handler? 38ADP or something like that?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodlistener View Post
    So this is a split system with the Comfortlink control platform correct? You installed a SAT and a RAT sensor in the air handler? 38ADP or something like that?
    That is pretty close. We did install a couple of sensors which wire back to the CU. I spoke briefly with the contractor we are under and was told the Carrier tech is out of town battling with another unit and a LON Card.
    Fortunately I go a call from anoth startup/tech guy and was told that there is a Schedule Point we need to command so we will look into that tomorrow.
    SOmeone had the bright idea () to also use a LON interface to the Ebtron AFS on the SF and RF so we battled that for a while today before we got it to come up but it crashes when we try to commission it.
    We will work through that with Ebtron in the AM as we spent part of the da y getting the LON interface to the ABB Drives communicating.
    My tech is stressed so I'll have to get him a few adult beverages tonight on me. It was a learning curve for him and equally tough because the AB Contractor is a few days away and this is an out of town job.

Post Likes
    Don't have a Gemini, but here's some Generic profiles.

http://cid-ed26da472b5a7353.skydrive...472B5A7353!111

Post Likes
    Do you have Carrier service tool? You need to map in your points. i.e. nvoTemp1 would be set to CCN point SAT(supply air temp) All this has to be done on Carrier end.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by desert guy View Post
    SOmeone had the bright idea () to also use a LON interface to the Ebtron AFS on the SF and RF so we battled that for a while today before we got it to come up but it crashes when we try to commission it.
    We will work through that with Ebtron in the AM as we spent part of the da y getting the LON interface to the ABB Drives communicating.
    DesertGuy, what was the outcome on the Ebtron Lon interface? I have a bunch of those on a job, can't commission them using AX 3.7

Post Likes
    desert guy,

It appears that you are describing the 38AP Condensing Unit with Factory Mounted Comfort Link Controls. I would suggest you download the full manual from the Carrier website if you have not done so already.
    http://www.commercial.carrier.com/co...RD1734,00.html

The Lon Translator Card is approximately a 10 year old product. Like most manufatures, they are providing most if not all resources toward BACnet and few if no resources toward LON. The LON interface is not the best, if you have the option for BACnet you will be able to see 200-300 points. LON you will see at most 30-40 and most of wich are status points.

Since the Condensing Unit along with it's Air Source is most similar to a RTU it was most likely configured as a Roof Top Unit. You will need to install a fan proof of flow switch, a supply air sensor and a return or space temperature sensor and wire them to the condensing unit in order to keep the CU from operating in situations that may cause damage to the unit.

Most complex equipment manufactured today will not let you directly control the machine in order to reduce warranty cost and damage to the equipment. You will need to write to Occupancy and Setpoints in order to control the unit which works very well (we integrate with all equiment manufactures via BACnet and we have no problem controlling the equipment via these points).

Please let me know if you would like for me to expand upon any of the above items.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in