Thank all of you for an intersting forum. I appreciate the information and knowledge available here.

My questions are somewhat similar to some of the others, so I thank you in advance for your patients.

I have a 12 year old carrier 2.5 ton, 12 seer unit that recently failed due to a bad evaporator coil as well as condensing unit. Both are leaking. I live near saltwater, but not actually on the river. I have gotten bids for replacing the unit as well as upgrading to the carrier infinity system that seems to be so efficient. This system will be used for the 2nd floor of a two story house that has a loft and 2 beds and 2 baths. My thoughts are to get the most efficient unit possible up there as it will be cooling the hot air that rises from the first floor as well. Not to mention the fact that the cool air will be dropping to the first floor from the loft.

I have gotten several quotes and have found that for the "infinity system", the prices vary by several thousand dollars for seemingly the same equipment. Please note that I am not asking for pricing info, only commenting on the tremendous variation in the quotes I received.

Here is the equipment combination from my latest quote:
    58CVA070-1-12, CK5PXA036017, 38TDB036-3, plus 1 infinity contoller.
    Any thoughts on this combination?

Also had one contactor quote Bryant equipment. They said it's the same stuff, just different name on the box. Is this the case?

If the above system is not ideal efficiency, then what would one suggest for this application? Heating won't be as significant an issue, as it doesn't get real cold for very long and I figure, heat rises, so the upstairs will get some help from the 1st floor units.

Again, thanks for any input.

edit: also wanted thoughts on adding a humidifier to the sytem at outset or not. Thanks.

[Edited by curious1 on 05-09-2005 at 12:42 PM]

What are the thoughts on UV light on coil vs the UV light that passes over the return air? Should get one vs other or both? Or should I just live in a bubble?
    Thanks

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    The system you listed is great.UVC over the coil,will prevent "stuff" from growing in that area that usually does,Carrier UVC is a good one,two bulbs better than one.

Search on Infinity ,on this site and see what other homeowners think of their Infinity.

Thanks for the reply Dash.

I currently am having difficulty picking a contractor. One, who is higher priced by about 2k, says it should take about 3 days to install the infinity system if done right (air leak check, duct checking/sealing, whatever else). The other, who is less and usually does more new construction work, says it will only take about 4 or 5 hours!

Any thoughts?

What should replacing a current system entail other than the obvious change out of the equipment?

One last question: What is the difference between a 38TDB036 and 38TDB037? Is it worth the difference.

Thanks.

I had my furnace replaced, air filter, new chimney, central air conditioning, humidifier and ultraviolet light system installed last summer. It was not a complex job, the sheet metal was minimal...new plenum, steering vanes in some 90's and some other pre-made tin work to install on the return, running power for the a/c, etc. Lots to do, though. It took one Journeyman and two pretty good apprentices almost 10 hours to pull the old and start up the new.

So, call it 30 man-hours in my case. No duct leak checking or extra sealing was done.

It depends on what more they have to do other than a retro fit I'd say.

The guy doing it in 4-5 hours...I'd be doing a double take.