Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 144
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Hackensack nj
    Posts
    17
    ThanK you icehouse and thank you frank for all your help .

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    welcome!!!!!!!

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Veterans Home Yaphank, NY
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    I may not be able to help with your essay?
    But I can confirm that ICEHOUSE has plenty of experience!
    and is also a great guy!

    Frank
    Thanks from "Shady Pines"
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    welcome Bob!

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    wolf

    WOW!!!!!!!!!

    every single comment you made is true!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I had a job where they told me since I got a 100% on their master mechanic test I would start at journeyman wage!

    I worked 90 hours that week at what should have been about $25 an hour????
    40 hrs at 25 and 50 hours at 37.50

    my first check was for $488!!!!!!!!!!!!
    the owner said that training was at minimum wage and no O/T!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I had about 12 jobs like that and not to start any union/non union fights!!
    I finally got in the union and have been paid for every hour I have worked since!!!!1

    IT GETS BETTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    you just summed up my entire 26 year career in one post!

    Frank
    How does any company take you serious with that many jobs under your belt

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    good point!

    since usually those crooked contractors and there are millions of them!start screwing you out of pay immediately!!!!

    and start screwing you out of hours and overtime immediately!

    you only put up with it for a couple weeks and quit!

    You never have to put those companies on your resume!!!!!!!!!!!









    Quote Originally Posted by nick982002 View Post
    How does any company take you serious with that many jobs under your belt

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Calgary AB
    Posts
    215
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    good point!

    since usually those crooked contractors and there are millions of them!start screwing you out of pay immediately!!!!

    and start screwing you out of hours and overtime immediately!

    you only put up with it for a couple weeks and quit!

    You never have to put those companies on your resume!!!!!!!!!!!
    I was just asking cause some guy ripped on me for having to many employers on my resume.I asked him if he had ever heard of layoffs,he didn't respond to my question.

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I think I had about 12 jobs in my first 5 years!
    Not from layoffs just crooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I just erased those 5 years from my resume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I know guys that got on with respectable contractors right out of high school and never left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I took a different road!

    when i started at my current and last shop, there were 13 journeyman
    1 had been there for 30 years
    1 for 25
    1 for 20
    3 from 15-20
    and a few for 10 or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    that was all i needed to know, and i will never leave!



    Quote Originally Posted by nick982002 View Post
    I was just asking cause some guy ripped on me for having to many employers on my resume.I asked him if he had ever heard of layoffs,he didn't respond to my question.

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Veterans Home Yaphank, NY
    Posts
    2,309
    Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I think I had about 12 jobs in my first 5 years!
    Not from layoffs just crooks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I just erased those 5 years from my resume!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I know guys that got on with respectable contractors right out of high school and never left!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I took a different road!

    when i started at my current and last shop, there were 13 journeyman
    1 had been there for 30 years
    1 for 25
    1 for 20
    3 from 15-20
    and a few for 10 or so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    that was all i needed to know, and i will never leave!
    If you did Helen would kick your butt. "Shady Pines"
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, Kansas, United States
    Posts
    13,832
    good point Bob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    you got an extra cot at shady pines?????????????????





    Quote Originally Posted by icehouse View Post
    If you did Helen would kick your butt. "Shady Pines"

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Glendale, CA.
    Posts
    16
    I was going to ask for someones opinion on my resume if anyone would like to take a look at it and shoot me some advice? That would be awesome

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Middle of Florida
    Posts
    2,159
    MSNBC did a special on school rip offs it is a several billion dollar industry, the catch is like Wolf said high interest loans that you never pay off. Some people featured in the show were not trade schooling but degrees in engineering at 100,000 to 200,000 a pop. so feel better Wolf 10 grand was indeed a rip off but at least it was not the size of a three bed house. 10 Grand is nothing over your life span let it go and move on. chalk it up as a lifetime experience that you learned from.

    I did two four year non union apprenticeships, paid by my employers, sheet metal then HVAC. NEVER PAID A DIME EXEPT FER MY TIME. Like Ice said in a earlier post never say "but in school they taught".......... so if you must do school, apprenticeship union or not is the way to go. I used ABC. Aassociated Bbuilders and Ccontractors google and find your local chapter.

    I tell everybody I meet stay away from this trade for most it is a waste.
    If common sense is so common how come so few of us have it!

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New jersey
    Posts
    33
    Ran into this post and can relate to this. Im new to the field still in school but what wolf posted holds true in just about any market. Havent had many jobs cause always stayed awhile but it goes all the way. Companies seem to get cheaper and give less for hard work and to the consumer. Anyway you look at it though hard work pays off in the end and education and experience can never be taken away.
    If you can't explain what you do, then you don't really understand it!

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image