Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    welcome tech79!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wolf, what are some good companies in so cal/Los Angeles that you would recommend checking out. Also any unions.

yeh,yeh, I feel your frustration and I can tell you similar stories when I started...and at the time I didn't know enough,I bounced around to many hvac companies trying to get afew more dollars each time as you already know,most of the co. i worked for would rather let you go than give you an extra nickel....so off I went picking up skills as I moved...finally I started my own business....I was doing well,but, I was a good tech. but not a good businessman I also got to see a perspective from the other side...long story short i was finally offered that union job,decided to go for it and took a pay cut,see I was advised to start as a 4th year apprentice even though I tested as a journeyman....I did finally get through school/apprenticeship program and made journeyman. I now only do commercial work at supermarkets only!!!,thus my name....commercial work is truly the way to go IMO....
    good luck with what you decide.

Wow a pretty negative viewpoint, sorry your experiences haven't been very well.

I went to community college for HVAC, a 9 month program. Worked for 2 companies while I was in school, but I did research on all potential employers. The first company I was at wanted me to stay, but most of the employees were there to pick up a pay check and the owner wouldn't even say hi to me when we first met. So I knew I was going elsewhere. In my research there were more bottom feeders in the residential market, so I went the commercial route, but I've known some quality residential companies over the years. Lived in the Northwest until 2+ years ago, now in the southwest.

Thing I've noticed since moving is it is rare to come across a good service guy. (May have been rare where I was at, just I was at a good company when in the NW.) I have helped out way too many 'technicians' that are parts changers. I make mistakes and will continue to make mistakes, but when some of the basics aren't done just cause it's easy to change a part/or they simply don't understand.

HVAC has been an excellent career path for me. 7 plus years as a service tech, and the last 5 doing controls mainly and some service as needed. I don't have a BS degree, wish I did, but I made more $ for quite awhile than friends that have their degree, and I like what I do.

It is up to you as the employee to find a good employer. Too many 'employees' seem to expect handouts for little work and too many employers expect to pay as little as possible. INTERVIEW EMPLOYEE'S before you go hire with an employer. *Unless the employee has an incentive for you to hire on, generally you'll get the most honest opinions. Parts houses are a good place to pay attention as well, does it seem to be a hassle for the tech to get the part, ie COD or warnings about payment, don't go to work for that company.
    Last edited by crab master; 02-23-2011 at 09:20 PM. Reason: *
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

This is great work. Employee or employer, you've got to enjoy it. I've seen people in it for the money. They don't put in the self education needed. They don't last.
    ENJOY THE RIDE

love the work!

not so in love with the millions of unscrupulous contractors that the field attracts!

Confused

Hello, i'm new to the forums so I just want to say that i'm quite nervous when I hear stories of negativity that come from HVAC personnel. I recently received my diploma for HVAC technology from WyoTech in Long Beach, California. Yeah, I know... about 10k for school but hey, prior to this... I didn't know diddly-squat (lol flanders...) anyway... I'm a confident/positive type of dude that believes my potential and dedication is infinite. So my philosophy in the end is if you got the right attitude and are a genuinely good person, good things happen. Yeah the world isn't perfect and business can be cut-throat sometimes, but that doesn't mean the sky is going to fall. HARD WORK pays off.

Then again, this is coming from a guy that hasn't worked a day in the field! I only got my education but i'm ready to work! Besides all that, i'm getting the impression that even though I spent 9 months learning the trade and excellent training, it's not going to matter? I hope not. SHEESH! Anyone want to give me any advice? Where to start? What to look for? My school gave me allll sorts of tools too... i'm just looking to start gaining experience. Should I make business cards? So far my game plan is to send out resumes and get hired. Anything motivational would be greatly appreciated. I got big dreams and aspirations for me and my family, as do a lot of you! So let's help each other out!

J88

your education is priceless and nobody can take it away from you!

you may have to work for some crooks like most of us had to because sometimes those are the only jobs!

when you are appyling look for crooked words like:
    billable hours
    commission
    flat rate
    piece work
    sales technician
    bonuses
    incentives

contractors 2000
    contractors success group
    diamond anything!
    just about any contractor in california!

contractors that push warranties and rip off service agreements gold silver platinum etcc!
    service agreements are good and necessary!
    they should be tangible and beneficial to the customer and affordable!
    they do not need a $400 warranty on a $500 water heater!
    we fix air conditioners!
    look for a company that wants trained, qualified technicians!
    emphasis on training!!

If you go to work every day and feel good about your work?
    then you have found a good job!

frank

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan88 View Post
    Hello, i'm new to the forums so I just want to say that i'm quite nervous when I hear stories of negativity that come from HVAC personnel. I recently received my diploma for HVAC technology from WyoTech in Long Beach, California. Yeah, I know... about 10k for school but hey, prior to this... I didn't know diddly-squat (lol flanders...) anyway... I'm a confident/positive type of dude that believes my potential and dedication is infinite. So my philosophy in the end is if you got the right attitude and are a genuinely good person, good things happen. Yeah the world isn't perfect and business can be cut-throat sometimes, but that doesn't mean the sky is going to fall. HARD WORK pays off.

Then again, this is coming from a guy that hasn't worked a day in the field! I only got my education but i'm ready to work! Besides all that, i'm getting the impression that even though I spent 9 months learning the trade and excellent training, it's not going to matter? I hope not. SHEESH! Anyone want to give me any advice? Where to start? What to look for? My school gave me allll sorts of tools too... i'm just looking to start gaining experience. Should I make business cards? So far my game plan is to send out resumes and get hired. Anything motivational would be greatly appreciated. I got big dreams and aspirations for me and my family, as do a lot of you! So let's help each other out!

Thanks supertek, for the heads up! Will do! I appreciate it bro!

no problem man!!

this truly is a great craft!

You HAVE to go to school and you have to start somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan88 View Post
    Thanks supertek, for the heads up! Will do! I appreciate it bro!

Quote Originally Posted by supertek65 View Post
    no problem man!!

this truly is a great craft!

You HAVE to go to school and you have to start somewhere!

Tell em Fronk
    RAM Teaching Tomorrows Technicians Today.

and never trust anybody from shady pines!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bobbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast