+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Thread: WARNING about HVAC trade schools

Post Likes
    Seems a bit pricey, be sure you know how you are going to pay for the tuition.

You've got a 70% chance of getting work upon completion.

Quote Originally Posted by Rookie_At_Life View Post
    I'm necro-ing this thread because I saw this nearly a couple of months ago after a customer of mine at a retail establishment gave me 'advice' not to go into a Trade so gun-ho. I'm considering going to Apex Technical School(Yes, I live in NY) sometime next year in HVAC but after reading this thread and seeing what the HVAC industry is or has reduced into, I'm hesistant in going or should find another Blue Collar career I should go into. After making this thread early this year, I realize how broad this HVAC is and what I should narrow myself down in this industry. However I should be smart and figure what other options are out there. Ever since volunteering with Habitat for Humanity I realize how much I enjoyed working with my hands and getting a satisfaction of getting hands on work done it's something what I want to do.

Should I research more about the industry and go ahead with it or move on to something that's more to my speed?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Likes
    One thing leads to another in life. Try something-- if you don't like it, move on. As for paying to learn something ...well that's life. If you learn something-- then it's not a waste.

Post Likes

Thumbs up Research

Quote Originally Posted by secorp View Post
    Instinct usually works best, if you are already having doubts well. ?.......
    Regarding the response to your note on considering a career in the HVAC industry. It can be the most rewarding thing you can do for your career choice. If your choice is finding an accredited school, Then do research about the school & what former students have said. Be committed & focused on learning as much about the industry as possible, Then if the school has a placement program look into who you might be placed with & ask as many questions. What will be expected from you & the opportunity to grow. If you apply yourself to making it a career choice you can write your own ticket with in a few years. As an employer from a 30yr old HVAC service firm. good candidates are hard to find. And as I always will say after 40+ years in the trade it is by far of all the trades the best one to get into. Hang in there.

Post Likes
    In Response. Trade schools offer an overview of our industry. But some offer false promises to students as to their value, at the end of their graduation. I have hired a lot of tech school graduates. The point I will make is you must be humble apply your self to being able to work hard & willing to learn. have social skills & communicate. A good employer will provide a path to grow your career. My next point is Union Apprentices. I went thru a 5 yr apprenticeship, But we had to be employed with a union contractor during our apprenticeship. Which really gave us an advantage, for the learning curve. But now 30 yrs forward. Union help has changed as well, with some of the members. I have hired ex union guys who have worked in union jobs that lets say there employer has a lot of work that is 3-5 year guaranteed contracts with Super Markets, City Contracts as an example. I have more in house trained & harder workers then some of the latter I described. They can buy there way into a union & get paid great money with big egos, But soon there work habits & there idea of an 8 hr day will soon be seen. You make your career path as you choose to apply yourself. Either being a great employee for someone, or deciding owning your own business one day. Lets here it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvactech79 View Post
    very interesting topic

I work in souhtern ontario, and we have a full apprenticeship (5 years) however there are a few trade schools where you can learn refrigeration
    Probably because it is already so cold in Ontario already! Ha! (Yes my jokes could be better and I know I'm replying to an old thread).

I looked into the Canadian apprentice program and it doesn't seem easy to qualify. And a 5 year program!?! That's frightfully long.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in